Delayed Steals In 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
@Amy - Didn't even notice the gloves. Classic. I was looking at runner why some parent had yelled get down and she was going to do a seat drop on top of the plate from that close.

Nov 1, 2009
I would say the chances of successfully taking home against a decent team is less than 1 in 10. The worst batting average on our team is over .325 so I think I would take a chance on my hitter advancing the runner rather than counting on a player not paying attention. Most of the teams we play I have a lot of respect for the players and coaches and wouldn't want to give them a free out while insulting their teams ability to make a pretty simple play.

Jan 31, 2011
I would say the chances of successfully taking home against a decent team is less than 1 in 10. The worst batting average on our team is over .325 so I think I would take a chance on my hitter advancing the runner rather than counting on a player not paying attention. Most of the teams we play I have a lot of respect for the players and coaches and wouldn't want to give them a free out while insulting their teams ability to make a pretty simple play.

I agree with your statement. The odds are not with you. Against a good team, you're toast if you delay steal home. Against a weak team its pretty easy. But why would you use this tactic against a weak team? I think the delay from 2nd to 3rd base is a good play to consider. Sometimes, even good teams, get complacent with the runner on 2nd base.

Last weekend we were playing a weaker team. I stopped sending runners on pass balls at a certain point. However, the catcher would throw down to 3rd for the pick off when my runner was just a few steps off the bag every pitch! It happened over & over. She wasn't being smart about it either and her coach kept telling her to throw. She finally had a bad throw & I kept my runner on the bag figuring the coach would get the point that its not a great idea to try the pick off over & over when everyone knew it was coming except his LF, LOL...I finally couldn't take it. I told my runner to get a big lead & go home as soon as the catcher released the ball. I don't like doing that when we are up by 10+ runs, but come on!

I have been on the other side of it when we were a brand new team playing an excellent older 10U team. They are up by 10+ runs keep delay stealing home & my catcher was helpless. I felt it was "bush-league" at the time. However, looking back I should thank that coach because I made it a main point in practice after that day & it has never happened since.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
OT - but look at the batting gloves, the batter is wearing. I wonder if they are Mechanix? They are supposed to be great for hitting, but are sold in gardening stores.

Equally OT: Could be the m-pact model, which has pads for impact. Most Mechanix gloves have fabric backs and suede palms for cut protection while wrenching.

Mar 11, 2009
Delayed steals are very common in 12U. I train my pitchers and catchers to defend against it. I make sure my catchers vary their throwbacks to the pitcher. I have my pitchers catch the ball and immediately look at the lead runner.

If I see a pitcher and catcher who are susceptible to a delayed steal I won't use it right away. What I'll do is wait till later in the game when I need a run. I try not to teach the other battery with a meaningless run.

I don't think there are any meaningless runs, if you delay steal and score early in game then you might not need to do it later! Every run counts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG