Delayed Steals In 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Just curious how prevalent are delayed steals in 12U, especially home. DD got her second delayed steal yesterday. First time she did this the coaches were shocked. They didn't think I had it in me to attempt it. First year assistant coach. Second time it was head coach that sent her. She runs/steals when she is told ( or given a sign ). Just curious if this is something you see mostly in rec, or do you see it alot in TB too? Actually, we haven't seen another team attempt it and be safe.

Nov 1, 2009
Against a decent team it is just going to be an out. Maybe second or third, but home is a much shorter throw and the pitcher is looking right at the runner when they break. If your catcher throws while your runner is heading home you could make it but seasoned teams aren't going to make this mistake.

Nov 29, 2009
Delayed steals are very common in 12U. I train my pitchers and catchers to defend against it. I make sure my catchers vary their throwbacks to the pitcher. I have my pitchers catch the ball and immediately look at the lead runner.

If I see a pitcher and catcher who are susceptible to a delayed steal I won't use it right away. What I'll do is wait till later in the game when I need a run. I try not to teach the other battery with a meaningless run.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
We won a championship game 2 years ago inn 12U with a delayed steal of home
in the bottom of the 6th. It was the first time I had called it all game and we
caught the pitcher off guard

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I see delayed steals of 3rd often in 12U rec. Haven't seen one of home yet. I don't call the delayed steal but I've coached our players how to do it and let them decide when it's a good time to try it.

Not a delayed steal but I was proud to watch my DD steal home on Saturday after taking a huge lead and baiting the catcher to try to pick her off at 3rd. We ended up winning the game by one run.

Jul 28, 2008
Not a delayed steal but I was proud to watch my DD steal home on Saturday after taking a huge lead and baiting the catcher to try to pick her off at 3rd. We ended up winning the game by one run.

Against a good team, this is a bang, bang play that results in an out.

Jun 21, 2010
Twice this year my DD has thrown out a girl who lead off too much. Ran her back and fired away. Gotta watch the run back though. Watched another catcher do that and as she threw to pitcher, runner took off to home and was safe.

Dec 18, 2010
A good coach will look for any and all opportunities to advance a runner across home even to the point of manufacturing opportunities (well within the spirit of the game). Besides getting across the plate the second most important job of a runner is to put added pressure on the defense. Take a simple lead-off for example when I ump I can't tell you how many times a girl just seems to meander to her lead-off. We drill to make our lead-offs look like hit and run or an out-right steal when we see them relaxing on this we take advantage of it.
stealathome.jpg

Delayed steal DD stole 3rd on passed ball rounded 3rd waited for catcher to throw ball from backstop all on her own.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OT - but look at the batting gloves, the batter is wearing. I wonder if they are Mechanix? They are supposed to be great for hitting, but are sold in gardening stores.

Dec 28, 2008
It can work even against good teams if the players look for those moments when pitcher is upset that some pitch missed, or some dad/mom hollers something at her and she starts turning the wrong way not paying attention. But as a coach you can't predict when those times will come so you have to teach players to react to what they see on their own, and then endure the consequences if they guess wrong and the pitcher wasn't as "distracted" as they thought she was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan