Deception rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I have told my DGD to automatically start running to first base every time on strike three, swinging or called. As she turns to run (bats r), she glances back at the catcher to see if she caught the ball. If the ball is caught, she stops, turns around, picks up her bat and then sprints to the dugout. If first base is occupied with less than two outs, she does the same procedure even though she already knows she is out whether the ball is dropped or not. Practice makes perfect. Otherwise, she continues to first base.

Sometimes batters do not realize a ball has been dropped and do not hear their coaches, teammates, or fans telling them to run. Plus she may gain a second or two on her journey to first, and fast as she is, she needs it.:)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have told my DGD to automatically start running to first base every time on strike three, swinging or called. As she turns to run (bats r), she glances back at the catcher to see if she caught the ball. If the ball is caught, she stops, turns around, picks up her bat and then sprints to the dugout. If first base is occupied with less than two outs, she does the same procedure even though she already knows she is out whether the ball is dropped or not. Practice makes perfect. Otherwise, she continues to first base.

Sometimes batters do not realize a ball has been dropped and do not hear their coaches, teammates, or fans telling them to run. Plus she may gain a second or two on her journey to first, and fast as she is, she needs it.:)

And if she interferes with a possible play, the runner closest to home is ruled out.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
And if she interferes with a possible play, the runner closest to home is ruled out.

Agree 100% MTR. Knock on wood, but that has not happened yet. The only time I can remember that it could have happened was the 1b runner was moving on a hit and run and DGD took one step realized the catcher was coming up throwing and she fell to the ground so as not to interfere.

As she grows older there will be less and less dropped or past balls so the above procedure will not be needed or used.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Agree 100% MTR. Knock on wood, but that has not happened yet. The only time I can remember that it could have happened was the 1b runner was moving on a hit and run and DGD took one step realized the catcher was coming up throwing and she fell to the ground so as not to interfere.

As she grows older there will be less and less dropped or past balls so the above procedure will not be needed or used.

And if there is a runner on 1B and your DGD gets hit by a throw by the catcher in an attempt to put out that runner, that could be INT.

If the catcher mistakenly threw to 1B with a runner on 3rd and the return throw to the plate hits DGD, that could be INT.

There are just too many things that COULD go wrong to make it worth an "always run" policy.

Nov 17, 2010
There are just too many things that COULD go wrong to make it worth an "always run" policy.

You can minimize that by having the 1B coach put up a stop sign to signal to the runner to stop on a caught third strike.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You can minimize that by having the 1B coach put up a stop sign to signal to the runner to stop on a caught third strike.

What? You mean coaching isn't screaming "run, run, run" like the parents? :) Of course, you are absolutely correct, but you rarely see that.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We do not use the word "go" or "run". We yell Move. Too distinct and long a word so as coaches we must really be prepared and want the player to move. We too also have players always run on 3rd. However 1st base coach is instructed to not let them get halfway before giving them a signal to continue or stop and peel off. We want them in a habit of moving always. Just feel it is our job to not let it get out of hand as we grow into learning the game more.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How hard is it to teach players when they are allowed to run on a DTS? And until the umpire calls them out, running in a live DTS situation is OK and expected if they are unsure whether the ball has been caught or dropped.

Jul 9, 2012
Not to hijack the thread, but I will give you another "deceptive" situation.

Bases loaded 1 out, 2-2 count. Pitch number 5 is a ball. Runner drops the bat, sprints to first. Catcher turns around to umpire and says that was ball 3, umpire nods yes, runner on third jogs home, runner on second jogs to third, and runner on first jogs to second. Batter stands at first base all the while. Catcher, still has the ball facing the umpire and says that is ball three again to the umpire, and he says yes. Catcher flips he ball back to the pitcher, umpire returns the batter from first back to the box to hit. And the run counts.

Coach of team on defense steps out of dugout to argue, umpire says it is perfectly legal, run counts. To be clear, this was a set play by the offense to intentionally confuse the defense. How do I know, we had it done to us and we did it to another team, at the 14a level. We ended up getting beat 5-4 in ITB when the other team did it to us. We beat the other team 7-3 when we did it.

UIC said it was perfectly legal. So now anytime, which is very rare (like twice a year, maybe), there is a walk with the bases loaded my catchers hold the ball and tag the runner coming home from third, regardless.

Nov 17, 2010
To be clear, this was a set play by the offense to intentionally confuse the defense.

A very risky play for the offense. If the catcher in your scenario was watching the lead runner instead of chatting with the ump, there would be an easy tag out and maybe a double play at third to end the inning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves