DD surprises dad- she really has been listening!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
11 yo DD surprised me yesterday. We were at an indoor facility for her pitching lesson, arrived early and had a little time on our hands, so I started watching some of the guys hitting in the cages. They were kind of big might've been high school but I think they were older.

DD was a little bored, so I told her to look at the hitter and tell me if he was doing anything wrong. she watched him crank 3 shots and promptly said "His swing is too 'wristy'. no extension. he's using his arms and not getting power from his body. can we look at bats now?"

The thing that floored me is she was right! This was not slo mo video, this was live, fast movement, real-life hitting. After she said it, I looked closer and saw that she was dead-nuts-on right.

She really has been listening to what I've been teaching her! a proud moment for me.

Then we went in the Pro Shop and looked at bats for awhile.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Good job, obbay. Did you buy her a bat?
I had a dad watching his DD's HS game last year and he said, "If you hit it out, I will buy you a new bat." She promptly knocked the ball over the fence. I almost asked why he would buy her a bat, if she could hit like that, with what she had, but I didn't.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No, I didn't buy her anything! I did get her a Rockettech (off Amazon, thanks for the heads-up Amy!) that she doesn't know about yet. In fact, that's what she likes looking at in the Pro Shop- they only have one Rockettech and it happens to be in her size so we go in there and when no one is looking she takes some cuts with it and pretends she's Albert Pujols.

Amanda- did daddy tell you it was a good hit but not the double he asked for?:D

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
Gotta love those Daddy moments! Pretty sharp girl to be picking up on those things at 11. Kinda caught me off guard the first time my daughter snickered at the batting cage - she then commented about someone elses batting. And I thought all she was doing was mindlessly texting someone.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
That's the thing about these girls of ours. Just when our heads are ready to explode and our wallets are shrinking, we are to the point of saving all the pitching, and hitting practice money not to mention the $4 a gallon gas and putting it into savings and just PAY for college, they go and do things like that! I know your feelings of pride and I wish those feelings to every dad out there. At that point, you feel no prouder than if they had just pitched a perfect game in the CWS.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
My GDD (12U) hit first ever "over the fence" home run this weekend the second time up batting this year. It was a high towering home run that probably wen 210-215 feet. More on that later.

Naturally the next time up she tries to hit another home run and swings at the first pitch and misses wildly. My GDD, who is normally very quite and reserved, stepped out of the batter's box and shouted at the 3rd base coach, "My bad, I was trying to kill the ball and I had my eyes looking up at the sky". The next two pitches were balls. The next pitch was on the outside of the plate. She swung at the pitch and missed it miserably. Stepping out of the batter's box, "Sorry coach, I tried to pull the ball and I should have gone to right field with it." Thankfully she finally walked. I am sitting in my seat laughing my head off but also very proud that she knew what she was doing wrong. Before she went to the field after the third out, the coach called her aside and told her to keep her comments to herself and just hit the ball.

After the game and everyone had calmed down, she calls her father to the side and told him, "Dad, I'm sorry about the home run." My son was astonished. Then she continued, "I know it went over the fence, but did you see how high it went? I must have dropped my back shoulder." Her dad told her not to worry about it, even pros make mistakes.

It is nice to know that they do listen to all the coaching. It is especially nice to know that she can figure things out on her on once she is taught. One minute they break your heart and the next minute your heart wants to burst with pride. Gotta love them!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma