DD hit in the face.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2012
unless a witchdoctor shrunk her head go with the adult size.

the play it again sports sell them here. you should be able to go in and check one out.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
One more forum question. The rip it sizes. DD is ready to order, but we are unsure of the proper size. She's 17 but doesn't have a big head. You know what I mean, it's not shrunken or anything, just some women have small medium large heads.

So having a "small" adult head, would it be better for a youth? Or go ahead and order a adult? I don't want it too small it's too tight, or too large it's falling down like a pair of oversize pants.

Thanks

Your DD needs the adult size....several sporting goods store in our area carry them, and I am sure all of them would let her try one on before you buy it. They also come in different colors - black, white, red, ect.

Mar 18, 2013
I am so sorry this happened. I am so glad she is ok. We have a 12u pitcher get hit with a line drive to the eye socket and had be medi-vaced to Seattle. She will be fine except for a skull fracture and shattered eye socket they will have to rebuild. We are requiring our 10u, 12u, and 14u all have them for our league this summer. Not if, but when and how bad. I am so glad your DD is okay!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
GD - I know she's a tough kid, but getting back on the horse without a little aprehension (even if she doesn't care to admit it) wouldn't be human. Since you say she's going to be wearing a mask, here's a potential transition plan. If she's ready this weekend, suit her up in full catcher's gear - shins, chest, helmet - and have someone pitch to her - could be you, her regular catcher, or a fellow pitcher, just need some some decent velocity (but no batter). Give her the new mask and it will seem small and light. Point out that if her catcher can catch her without any problems w/ the heavy bulky, catcher's helmet then the RipIt (get her a large) shouldn't be nearly as difficult to get used to or a hinderance when pitching. Have her throw some pitches, catch some throws back, and then field some easy grounders. No need for any rockets. This way she'll already have caught some balls with a helmet on prior to pitching from the scene of the crime, see that her new mask isn't that cumbersome by comparison, and then she can take the circle and simply get used to pitching with the mask. Who knows, she might even develop a little more appreciation for her under-loved battery mate. Now, come game time, I'd be surprised if she doesn't flinch for a while on balls up the middle, but she'll get over it sooner than later. Until she does though, I suggest you pack a spare pair of underwear (for yourself).

Just 2 cents worth of free advice from a former pitcher caretaker. Of course you can shake me off and throw whatever you damn well please you stubborn old pitching mule.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Haha, thanks for the advice GM. It wouldn't hurt my feelings her sitting out Fridays game, even though I've waited a year for this particular one. It's the team who won the 32 team tourney DD got injured in, the D1 pitcher we've been playing with/against since 6yo rec. Only advantage this Friday is its a "home" game. Dang nab it!!

That way it would give me and her some time to get use to the mask WITHOUT such a tough foe to deal with too.

True story: I was about 10 when I had a rough year. I got hit in the box probably 15 times in the first 10 games, and developed a fear of batting. My father and brother, who is 10 years my elder ( and was playing college ), really worked with me on getting over that. I hope I have the same patients they showed me.

My paramedic friend said he will have IV's on tap for me the first couple of games DD returns to the circle. :)

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Heck, I would have my DD wear it around the house every waking moment to get used to it, maybe even sleep in it.:)
I would bet $$$ your DD will have her glove in a protective placement from this time forward on all pitches. Even if she did so before I think it will be more pronounced and that is a good thing heading into the collegiate arena.
This thread could lead to some valuable info on the right and wrong way to return a player's confidence level.
I look forward to your updates.

Mar 13, 2010
GD so glad your daughter is OK and it was 'just' the chin.

Regarding getting back on the horse, I mentioned here a few weeks ago I took one to the knee. (or just under) I was fine. Until I pitched again the following Friday. My state league coach hadn't been aware of the incident but when I walked off the diamond after the first dig he turned and said 'So where'd you get hit?' I was jumping after every pitch appartently. I pitched well but was jumpy the entire game. It's a normal, human reaction.

While I wouldn't put her in before it's healed, she needs to back pitching to batter ASAP.

May 18, 2009
I hope the sanctioning bodies start mandating masks in the younger leagues. Then the stigma of the mask won't be an issue. Our local college team had a game last week and a girl lost her front teeth. Not sure if she was from our team or the other team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl