Curve ball doesn't curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
For fun, I learned a palm up curve:

CBBehindMOV_zpsrc05akwh.gif

The palm up is a fun pitch to play with, but the more drive and effort you put into it, the more spiral it becomes. I'm 6.4 and have very large hands and long fingers and it takes me several throws to get it really moving. I think this pitch is great for helping develop body awareness, but unless you're long and lanky, it's a tough pitch to get to work in full motion.

This is what has happened to DD the two different times we've messed with the curve she can get this super cool looking horizontal rotation but trying to get it full speed it turns into the crise - which is basically what her riseball throws outside already does so why bother it seems. It always seems a shame when you see that 9-3(??) spin coming at you that you can't do more with it but it doesn't seem to move more than an inch or two which puts it in lethal range :p

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It can be done and folks like Osterman, Littlejohn and others have worked hard at it and made it effective. I think it's worth playing with for fun and body awareness and if it becomes a strength, throw it in the toolbox. Otherwise, mastering the RB, drop, off-speed and/or change is a good plan for most.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
If the spin is correct you might have her focus on spinning faster not throwing faster. Give her the cue to spin around the ball not through it. Makes sense to some and others will look at you like you have 3 heads.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
I'm not a big fan of the palm up curve. If not thrown well it can stay flat and on the same plane. If adding a curve ball, take a look at the "Crop" Boardmember even kind of mapped it out well here https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/14585-crop.html on how to throw it. It seems to be effective for the pitchers I work with. It's easier IMO to teach as well because of the mechanics already in place. Sounds like this is what your DD was throwing before the palm up curve.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors