Cues to the pitch you call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
It's a unique mix of chess and dancing. Pitch calling can be proactive or reactive, follow or lead, or a little of both, but as long as it isn't predictable there are a number of ways to achieve the same result. At the higher levels, the pitches that get hammered are the mistakes i.e., those pitches that are poorly executed or located. When done well, you can get away with a poorly executed pitch in the right location, or a well executed pitch in the wrong location.

An excellant anology. Last tourny calling pitches for DD, young catcher, first inning DD located pitches on 2 batters fairly well. Two nice base hits with an out in between. Next batter called movement pitch that she hung out and the batter quickly put it over fence with authority. DD looked at me half grin of "crap I missed that one and dang she hit that a long way". Finished 75 minute timed game with a loss of 3-2. Examples of pitcher missing location etc. and of pitcher doing her part holding them scorless rest of game.

May 13, 2012
I think it’s obvious that you’re one of the “good” or even “exceptional” coaches, who really does try hard to teach, so it’s not that my personal feelings are directed at you. It’s just that for a lot of years I’ve heard every coach go on about how they do this or that, but when it’s checked into, you find out they might try to do the things they say, but in reality the number of times and how well they do it comes up a little short of what they lead others to believe.

What I’m sayin’ is, exceptional coaches are just about as rare as exceptional people in any other endeavor. That’s why they’re called exceptional. ;)

Thanks, I know Im not exceptional not even good. I have just come to realize I know some things about some things and don't know squat about others. I have my ways on some things and try to learn new things from people on here and anyplace else I can. I belive that teaching a kid to think goes a long way towards their success on the field and in the world away from sports.

Sep 30, 2013
…At the higher levels, the pitches that get hammered are the mistakes i.e., those pitches that are poorly executed or located….

Yes, mistakes surely do get hammered on a more regular basis than perfectly executed pitches, but that doesn’t mean perfectly executed pitches don’t get hammered. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom