Cracked CF5?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2011
Picture 006.jpgIs this a crack or just the outer shell splitting. This is my second, so no returns, the first cracked in the sweet spot!Picture 006.jpg

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
It looks to me like it is the outer shell that split and came off. Unfortunately, either way it is no longer a legal bat in a game.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Are you sure on the returns? I know LSlugger warranty period is from the original purchase date for a year. No matter how many times it is replaced during that year.

Looks like somebody's killing the ball! Those CF5's are durable bats.

Dec 7, 2011
Our experience with ~1 CF per year is that in the second year of use the outer "shell" will start to delaminate. I think this is what you are seeing. (this is school then TB ball use pattern)

BUT I also submit that after you start to see this delamination that it will not be long before the inner core will fail. Get a second bat ready now. Keep on using it. BUT be very aware of any "slow" decay of the center core as DD's first CF4 slowly failed to the point where in her second year on that bat she was using it for a couple months with 50% pop.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Composite bats are a weave of composite. Once a bat gets a real (one that isnt just paint) crack, the bat will not stop unraveling for a lack of better terms. The weave has been severed, and will now keep getting worse and worse after every hit.

And just to let you know, a 2 piece bat means that the handle and barrel are different pieces. Not that there is an inner sleeve that means more than the outside of the bat. The barrel is a single unit of many layers of composite, resin and some other materials that work together to provide the performance. You cant just lose the outside layer and be fine.

Apr 29, 2011
Just spoke to customer service at Demarini. He felt she was outperfoming bat and to stay away from drop 11 bats at her age, 13.No good on the return since it was a 1 time replacement already. Just ordered cf 6 drop 10, lets see how that does!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm wondering if these high dollar composites are worth it... average $300 a year with, a warranty return within that year... maybe the rocketech/techzilla is a better option for average people that are having to get a second mortgage on their homes to keep dd supplied in bats!

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
I've seen 3 -11 cf5s break this season. All were bought around Xmas time. Get the -10 if you get the cf5.

Apr 21, 2013
Everyone on my daughter's team (10u) had a CF5 (mix of -11s and -10s) except for my DD and one other person (who had a 454 -12)... Since the beginning of the year every one of those CF5's have now cracked and 4 of the replacements have cracked (we had 2 replacements crack this past weekend after less than 2 weeks of use.) My DD just switched from a stealth to a cf5 Insane and I hope that it is more durable than the normal cf5's. Seems like the white and red cf5's are prone to cracking. Many of the parents are now looking for another brand of bat because they have lost faith in Demarrini due to the CF5 and the single replacement policy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck