CRACK OR PAINT SEAM?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Is this a crack or a paint seam? Send it or Bench it?

• Total voters
May 29, 2015
That makes more sense.

The NCAA still does pregame testing, though. They even test between games of a DH.

Yes. I know on the baseball side they have seen players ejected for not having the proper testing sticker on their bats.

I don’t call NCAA, so I’ll have to look up their specifics tonight.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yes. I know on the baseball side they have seen players ejected for not having the proper testing sticker on their bats.

I don’t call NCAA, so I’ll have to look up their specifics tonight.
That's correct. My daughter comes home from the Spring Games with a new sticker every year.

May 29, 2015
Not sure about softball, but baseball is a new sticker every series.

Last time I called an NCAA softball game, we had a checklist, but no stickers. Small, small D3 school years ago.

May 29, 2015
If an ump looked at this bat and tossed it, I'm sorry...but that's bullshit.

Is it "free of rattles, dents, burrs, cracks . . . "?

Is the barrel "round cylindrically symmetric with a smooth contour"?

I know, you want your daughter to use broken equipment so you don't have to replace it, I get it. Again, not on the umpire.

Am I looking for it? Not actively. That doesn't mean it is OK.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Is it "free of rattles, dents, burrs, cracks . . . "?

Is the barrel "round cylindrically symmetric with a smooth contour"?

I know, you want your daughter to use broken equipment so you don't have to replace it, I get it. Again, not on the umpire.

Am I looking for it? Not actively. That doesn't mean it is OK.
If the bat in the photo has no rattles or joint issues... and that is all you see. There is NO way you pull that bat.

I/We use and play with legal equipment, I'm not one of THOSE groups you are talking about. IF there is a physical crack, rattles, or joint issues, I get it...BUT most of the stuff we see are stress marks and pre cracks that are still legal and safe, with ZERO risk. They are not metal bats, there will be marks, and dings, and scratches and flex marks and paint flaking off. My 2 cents on it, over and out.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I showed my daughter the pictures and asked if she thought it would pass inspection at her college. Her immediate answer was no.

She said the compression testing is done by someone at the college, home or away, and the inspection is done by the umpires. She said the guy who does their testing when home wouldn't allow it to get to the umpire, even if it passed the compression test.

Apr 29, 2024
If I had to guess, This bat would pass a compression test. It still has plenty of pop and sounds just fine on contact no matter what side of the bat she is using. I did however retire this bat exclusively for practice and we spent yesterday afternoon getting her new (exact same bat) Broken in.

I will say that that rule as written almost leaves an ump with the ability to eject (a bat not a player) for webbing and or cleat chips. I agree they should give y'all either more or less wiggle room on the decision or a decisive test. However with our 10u team not being a competitive team yet, I don't foresee anyone digging into out bat bags for inspections after an L. LOL

My photo also does great job of making in very noticable. If you pick up the bat and roll it in your hands nothing catches. If you grew out your nails and did it with your nails on the bat you still probably wouldn't catch it. I think this is a paint seam and is safe for use. But to ere on the side of caution we have a new bat for games. Lot's of good info in this thread and thank you THE MAN IN BLUE for coming in and dropping the rule book!

You can see in this video my DD isn't exactly a power hitter and we are still working to get better.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If the bat in the photo has no rattles or joint issues... and that is all you see. There is NO way you pull that bat.

I/We use and play with legal equipment, I'm not one of THOSE groups you are talking about. IF there is a physical crack, rattles, or joint issues, I get it...BUT most of the stuff we see are stress marks and pre cracks that are still legal and safe, with ZERO risk. They are not metal bats, there will be marks, and dings, and scratches and flex marks and paint flaking off. My 2 cents on it, over and out.
The rule doesnt say just rattles or joint issues...it says cracks. Most cracks you can feel. Webbing you cannot. Paint
seems are splits in the paint and will get worse. Webbing you will not feel...those are just stress and composite flexing
making the paint move and you see very fine, like razor blade thin lines in the paint. But you cant feel them. Paint seems are ON THE MANUFACTURER. They are NOT supposed to happen. Thats why LS has an issue and replaces every one if you do the warranty.

Unfortunately, paint seems you can feel and ump are taught to toss cracks. Do I agree, no...but an ump isnt paid to
no be a bat guru and decide if this is a crack in the paint or the bat. Again, we arent talking about webbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805