Need Your Opinion: Is this a paint crack or structural crack on my composite bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2022
InkedIMG_20220611_204648_LI.jpgInkedIMG_20220613_112515_LI.jpg

Hey guys, my LS composite bat has developed 2 linear cracks soon after completing the composite break-in process, and played with it for about 5 games (only when the weather was above 55 deg.). To me, these 2 cracks appear to be simple paint cracks, but just over the weekend one of the umpires reviewed the bat and deemed ineligible. However, other umpires didn't seem to be concerned. Of course, I am also getting mixed opinions from coaches/parents as well......where some believe this to be paint crack, while some believe they are a beginning of structural crack.

** bat feels the same, sounds the same, performance seems to be fine....but it's hard to tell just for the fact that I only had this bat for less than 2 months.

Can you please provide me with your insights/opinion? I'd hate to return the bat for warranty, only for it to be returned to me (if they believe it to be in fine condition/paint crack) and not have it for the season.

Thank you

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
After intense analysis I have no idea. 😁

Two options.

If it's performing fine use it. Until an umpire says you can't. Make sure you have a second one ready just in case.

Umpire deeming ineligible is the answer to return it. The discrepancy and the result of the umpire is the reason.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Paint and paint seem...none are composite breaks. On that big seam, you may start getting paint chipping off, then you
can send back as that might attract attention. Little trick some use, spray a little 3m on it...you will be fine and nobody
will worry about it...hahaha

Problems is, most coaches dont know bats and neither do umps (they are taught that way)...they think any mark is a break just like lots of parents...haha.

Btw, LS does not have to replace that bat. Will they, possibly, but they dont have to (be forewarned). People
also think a bat failing compression is a reason to send back...it is not and will not be replaced.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022
Paint and paint seem...none are composite breaks. On that big seam, you may start getting paint chipping off, then you
can send back as that might attract attention. Little trick some use, spray a little 3m on it...you will be fine and nobody
will worry about it...hahaha

Problems is, most coaches dont know bats and neither do umps (they are taught that way)...they think any mark is a break just like lots of parents...haha.

Btw, LS does not have to replace that bat. Will they, possibly, but they dont have to (be forewarned). People
also think a bat failing compression is a reason to send back...it is not and will not be replaced.
Thank you Core. It sounds to me like LS is rather selective when it comes to honoring warranty? and just out of curiosity, what do you mean by a bat failing compression? Thank you :)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Thank you Core. It sounds to me like LS is rather selective when it comes to honoring warranty? and just out of curiosity, what do you mean by a bat failing compression? Thank you :)
No, if its a crack, manufacturers replace. But paint cracks and seems are sooooo common because of paint and colors, and how much flex
is in the composite that the paint has to endure...paint cracks are just normal and the bat is fine. No reason to replace because of it.

By compression...I mean the compression tester used sometimes

Jun 19, 2012
Like core said just paint cracks. My Dd's 2020 adv plenty of paint cracks no effects to performance. Keep on swinging

Attachments

• 20220614_154711.jpg
    20220614_154711.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220614_154716.jpg
    20220614_154716.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 31

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
IMO, that's just a paint crack. The fact that one umpire tossed it tells me he/she has no idea what a real break or crack looks like. You could have a cleat mark that gets it kicked by that umpire.

If it looks like this, it's getting tossed.

Attachments

• 20220613_105903.jpg
    20220613_105903.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 19

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
LOL. Wow, that is unreal! Thank you for sharing :)
Kinda the guide to follow is....if its a straight line or real thin razor blade line...its paint.

If it has a sharktooth look to it, then its the start of the composite coming thru. We say shark tooth
because composite is a weave of fibers and when it breaks it will kinda look like this VVVVVVV when
its starts showing thru the paint and when it breaks, it will pop thru the paint.

May 12, 2016
Daughter had a Worth Legit bat that went like this (see pic below).. I believe they refer to it has "webbing". It only lasted two months longer, but damn was it ever hot during those two months.

Capture.PNG

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog