CRACK OR PAINT SEAM?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Is this a crack or a paint seam? Send it or Bench it?

• Total voters
Apr 29, 2024
Do y'all think this is a crack or a paint seam? I am leaning towards paint seem since it lines up with all of the webbing and isn't jagged. Bat still has plenty of pop!

Attachments

• imgpsh_fullsize_anim.jpg
    imgpsh_fullsize_anim.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 60
  • imgpsh_fullsize_anim (1).jpg
    imgpsh_fullsize_anim (1).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 60

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Ok, let get into this a little bit since I saw this on FB and commented there as well.

People like to call this a paint seam...not webbing. It is a crack though...just not into the composite yet. Some last a bit,
some split very quick. It WILL split open at some point. When I mentioned 3M spray, its an option to try and hold it
a bit longer. Not coating the whole bat...haha. Again, just an option

Louisville slowpitch bats are HUGE on getting these seems...and its a matter of time. Thats why they sell cheap when people resell
when these bats develop this seam...because they all know its gonna go. Its not a little issue.

Try to not hit on that side...have her spin the bat when hitting

Apr 29, 2024
Ok, let get into this a little bit since I saw this on FB and commented there as well.

People like to call this a paint seam...not webbing. It is a crack though...just not into the composite yet. Some last a bit,
some split very quick. It WILL split open at some point. When I mentioned 3M spray, its an option to try and hold it
a bit longer. Not coating the whole bat...haha. Again, just an option

Louisville slowpitch bats are HUGE on getting these seems...and its a matter of time.

Try to not hit on that side...have her spin the bat when hitting
Happen to have a link to the 3m spray. I was considering a couple of drops of Super glue in the seam. Then using a magic eraser and some water to basically wet sand it down since magic erasers are just sanding blocks lol. Her new bat will be here Friday. So This one will be committed to live ABs during practice and maybe some Batting cage time. Then her new bat will be for in game only.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
They way I would play this...look at your warranty. If its close, send it in and use the warranty. If you have some time, keep hitting

if you dont have warranty left, then it doesnt matter :D

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Happen to have a link to the 3m spray. I was considering a couple of drops of Super glue in the seam. Then using a magic eraser and some water to basically wet sand it down since magic erasers are just sanding blocks lol. Her new bat will be here Friday. So This one will be committed to live ABs during practice and maybe some Batting cage time. Then her new bat will be for in game only.
Super glue will just flake off with the stress of the bat

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
That's just flexing off the paint...You'll get shark stresses and a straightline flex points on all composites, the paint will come off, but not actually open up as a crack yet. "Paint color on certain brands hide them more, depending on shade used and paint process"

Swing that sucker till it actually opens a crack in the composite.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That's just flexing off the paint...You'll get shark stresses and a straightline flex points on all composites, the paint will come off, but not actually open up as a crack yet. "Paint color on certain brands hide them more, depending on shade used and paint process"

Swing that sucker till it actually opens a crack in the composite.
Webbing is flexing of the paint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805