composite durability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2012
im a father of an u8 player. she will play coach pitch one more year. i have played slow pitch for years so i know alot about slowpitch bats but am almost clueless about fastpitch. besides the PST's, the catylist's have the most durability of the slowpitch world by far, does that go for slowpitch as well? if not what would be?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I think you are going to get many mixed answers on this. That being said, the thing I noticed about all brands of FP composite bats (many I have personaly bought for DD myself) is that we will typically get approximately a year out of any of them. DD practices 4 times a week hitting approximately 200-250 balls per session. Add that to the tournament games, team practices, etc, it's no wonder.
That's why the last bat purchased was the RT FP-9 33/24 (metal alloy).

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ok you are going to get a barage of "for 8 year olds go to walmart and get her a cheap bat, then spend the money on hItting lessons.". My opionIon is get hitting lessons AND get a good bat. I think for a light -12 miken halos are the best choice. They arent much over $100 and will last forever for an 8 year old. I buy dd bats and sell them used for at least 75% of original cost.

Mar 29, 2012
I agree with above get hitting lessons and a decent bat. This year we started DD on lessons once a week and bought her a synge. Also picked up a Vendetta for her team to use as a team bat. I have a feeling she will be moving up in bat size before it wears out, and the vendetta is still going strong even though 6 of the 10 girls use it a practice and games.

I don't think the little girls put as much wear on the composites as the bigger girls do so a 1 piece composite will probably last you a good long while.

I have seen soem of the low to mid level composites fairly inexpensive on ebay, for us her hitting coach gets bats really cheap and we buy off him.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't handicap your kid with a super light bat. -10 is as light as you need to go unless she has some kind of physical ailment. It's your money, spend it how you like, but a few things you need to keep in mind:

- Bat performance is relative to hitting performance. If she's barely hitting it out of the infield now, she'll be barely hitting it out of the infield +2 feet with a $300 bat. If she's hitting it right to the center fielder, a $300 bat may get her more distance against OF's that can't read the ball well. If she's hitting the ball to the fence, a $300 bat will get her some over.

- Is durability really important for an 8 year old? She's likely to outgrow her bat before it breaks or wears out. That means you can get her a $300 bat and not worry about it wearing out, but you'll also have a barely broken in bat sitting in the bag once she outgrows it. . . or she'll keep playing with it, and a $300 bat that is too small performs worse then a $50 bat that is the right size.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
I agree with redhotcoach and mogsoftball about the lessons and you know what if you can afford to buy a nice bat go right ahead.It is really no ones business what you buy for your dd.Just enjoy the time spent with your dd.As far as bats go, go out and look around for what feels good to your dd.They all have good and bad things said about them.

Jan 25, 2011
Don't handicap your kid with a super light bat. -10 is as light as you need to go unless she has some kind of physical ailment. It's your money, spend it how you like, but a few things you need to keep in mind:

- Bat performance is relative to hitting performance. If she's barely hitting it out of the infield now, she'll be barely hitting it out of the infield +2 feet with a $300 bat. If she's hitting it right to the center fielder, a $300 bat may get her more distance against OF's that can't read the ball well. If she's hitting the ball to the fence, a $300 bat will get her some over.

- Is durability really important for an 8 year old? She's likely to outgrow her bat before it breaks or wears out. That means you can get her a $300 bat and not worry about it wearing out, but you'll also have a barely broken in bat sitting in the bag once she outgrows it. . . or she'll keep playing with it, and a $300 bat that is too small performs worse then a $50 bat that is the right size.

-W
very good point,I was going to thank you but the icon was missing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

-W

At 8 years old I am guessing maybe a 27" bat. I don't think they make -10 shorter then 30". Yes I know everyone on here says a -12 lets a kid get away with bad habits, but just cause they are swinging a -12 doesnt mean they have bad habits and just because they are swinging a heavier bat doesnt mean they have a good swing.
My dd doesn't swing anything like she did a couple years ago, let alone when she was 8. My vote at 8 is get a good light bat, swing fast, make contact, and have fun! Instant gratification!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
At 8 years old I am guessing maybe a 27" bat. I don't think they make -10 shorter then 30". Yes I know everyone on here says a -12 lets a kid get away with bad habits, but just cause they are swinging a -12 doesnt mean they have bad habits and just because they are swinging a heavier bat doesnt mean they have a good swing.
My dd doesn't swing anything like she did a couple years ago, let alone when she was 8. My vote at 8 is get a good light bat, swing fast, make contact, and have fun! Instant gratification!

Also a 27" ish used bat that isn't scratched up is as good as a new one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06