College Softball's Dirty Little Secret?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
Coach JV - Ivy League is D1, but does not offer athletic scholarships.

My DD intends to be a biomedical engineer. We had the head coach at a prestigious ACC school tell her she would have to "back down" her major - they could not accomodate an engineering degree, especially one like that, as part of their softball program. In the words of the assistant coach "this is D-1 athletics - there is not time to have a major like that and compete at the D-1 level".

Most of the other D-1 schools we talked with pissed and moaned about it, but didn't come right out and say no. They did mention, though, that it would be hard to schedule labs and special classes, and that the professors might not work with them on missing some of that stuff for practice. Of course, practice is not to be missed for school.

We could not find any D-2 schools with Biomed, so we started talking to D-3's. A couple of them weren't too keen on it, either, but they did note that they had to be more accomodating. Eventually, she found the right combination of the degree she wants, quality of the school, and a coach and program that she likes a lot. It also helps that they are looking to help her out with large enough academic awards to make it affordable (she is a very good student).

I have been talking to another player's dad, whose DD is in a similar situation. He is concerned about his DD going D-3, because he had always pictured as a D-1 player.

I told him I had the same thoughts initially. Some of my queasiness was financial uncertainty, some was level of play, some was my own stupid ego getting in the way. But, as I told him, when we were on campus, she looked at me and said "Dad, this is it. This is where I want to go to college. I also want to play SB here, and I want to verbal." I asked if she was absolutely sure, she said yes, and she committed.

When we got home, I had to send some emails to D-1 coaches telling them she had verballed. It was a little hard at first, but I kept remembering what she told me, and it got easier. She is still a year away from college, but I have never seen her more excited about, and committed to, anything in her young life.

For her, at least, I think the D-3 route was the right way to go, because she is unwilling to compromise her career goals to play college SB.

Mar 13, 2010
jacketsfan, you should be so proud of your daughter for not comprimising her education for softball. Softball will finish. She has another 30,40 years of her career after softball.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have been talking to another player's dad, whose DD is in a similar situation. He is concerned about his DD going D-3, because he had always pictured as a D-1 player.
Jacketsfan, you obviously did the right thing. when it comes to selecting a college, I want my kids to come out prepared to earn a good living and contribute to society. I don't get the mentality of a parent who wants the kid to put sports over education when there is absolutely NOTHING waiting at the end of that road. maybe it puts some color in the resume, but only if the employer is a fan.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
LSU softball is a leader in learning excellence for its student athletes...

Majors:

Sports commerce: 8
Sports studies: 1
Elementary ed 1
Kenesiology 1
biology 1
human movement 1

And one junior is majoring is "general studies". Why get into specifics anyway? It is just too confusing.

jacketsfan: Well done. You obviously had some great conversations with your DD about life.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
When my son was a Freshman econ major, he sent out some resume's to local banks for a summer job. As soon as one bank received one, my phone rang. You would never believe the question they asked me. They said "Tell me about his varsity baseball experience." And then they said, "We would like to offer him a position."

They wanted a ringer for their slow pitch softball team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What the heck is Sports Commerce? Kinesiology, though is difficult. I often think about going back and retaking that course - and then, I come to my senses. I imagine that a "Kines" class would lead to someone becoming a physical therapist.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Jacketsfan - "this is D-1 athletics - there is not time to have a major like that and compete at the D-1 level". That is a classic line from someone who is focused on the tree in front of them (their job) rather than the forest (the welfare of the student/athlete). A question - what is the graduation rate of the players from the D 1 program you hi-lited versus the D III program DD will be attending? A degree in Biomedical engineering will continue a return on investment long after your DD has retired from softball.

I love watching the interviews Joe Paterno from Penn State does. He 'll say" I have 85 kids on my roster, how many will get drafted and play pro football - 3-4. The rest of them need to earn a living when they're done playing." He's been the football coach forever. He always recruited the best athletes he could and make them football players. His program's graduation rate has always been very high.

Feb 9, 2009
My son is a History major, Poli sci minor, with plans on going to Law School. His best friend since JH is a pitcher at a D-1 school, also with plans to go into law. Both are freshmen. They have had a plan since the summer before 8th grade: Friend gets to the majors pitching, and my son becomes his manager. (otherwise known as: pay me a salary so I can go to all your games and we can still hang out together) So far, it's working for them.

Afterwards: they open a law firm together.
At least they have a plan...

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
My son is a History major, Poli sci minor, with plans on going to Law School. His best friend since JH is a pitcher at a D-1 school, also with plans to go into law. Both are freshmen. They have had a plan since the summer before 8th grade: Friend gets to the majors pitching, and my son becomes his manager. (otherwise known as: pay me a salary so I can go to all your games and we can still hang out together) So far, it's working for them.

Afterwards: they open a law firm together.
At least they have a plan...

SOunds like a great plan........

Jackets........congrats, your daughter has a good head on her shoulders

Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the kind words folks. She's a good kid - takes after her mom!

I sometimes wonder, though, if she was an ESPn top 50 players, if she'd have been told something different. After the one visit, we were dissapointed when we were leaving. Then, we both sort of said at the same time - better to know now that halfway through your freshman year when you're 1,000 miles from home.

Not every school was so blunt. I am sure there are schools that can accomodate both academic and athletic careers. But, most schools only need a few players a year, so it may hit and miss.

She actually surprised me on visits. The first thing she asked the coaches was "I want to be a biomedical engineer. How can I work that degree with playing for you?" We could tell right away where it was headed. A couple said "we'll work it out", and seemed believable. Probably 5 or 6 squirmed and said something like "wow, what exactly is that?" and never answered the question. The one came right out and said no. The one that said no was the 3rd visit, which helped us to understand why the first two never really answered. It was eye opening.

Don't get me wrong - all of the coaches were very nice, spent a lot of time with us, answered questions, showed us around campus, etc. It just sort of always got down to 2 questions - the degree, and how serious are you about me as a player (words to that effect). Interesting dance, really.

After about 10 campus visits, she chose her school, so it was hard to argue with.

The rest of the story is that the school she is going to doesn't actually have engineering as a major, so she is doing a dual-degree program with another nearby major university. She will go to school for 5 years, and earn (hopefully) two bachelor's degrees - molecular biochemistry and biomedical engineering, one from each school. She figures if she can pull that off, she can find something to do when she gets out of school.

ps - of course I'm proud of her. If I can just figure what the heck those majors actually are.....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish