COLLEGE COACH WANTS vs. Players preference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Continued discussion prompted by other post of a college coach saying everyone will swing a 34"bat.

Since these type of college coach mandates happen.
Must use this glove & size
Must use this bat & size
Must use these mechanics...
While hitting, fielding, pitching.

What is the boundary line for you? Or no line?
How much of individual players preference are you willing to give up/ forgo to stay with the program?
(Or try to put your foot down and see how that goes...)

Is there anything that you wont change/accomodate?
Wont try.
Wont do.
(Obviously would cause conflict not to)
And have to
1. Quit team, stay at the college.
2. Transfer college to play eslewhere.

*Bringing this up because this predicament happens.
*& some coaching opinions are
If the player wont make theses changes means
'The player is un-coachable'.

#GO-DFP-OPINIONS

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
bunch of different variables involved here and a bunch are simply personal preference. I know my DD would never have switched from her selected glove, that would have been deal breaker for her.

I know of a current d1 player, that when she was touring schools the head coach made the comment "can't wait to get you here and change your swing to our way". BOOM, visit over, she lost all interest in that school instantly.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I know of a current d1 player, that when she was touring schools the head coach made the comment "can't wait to get you here and change your swing to our way". BOOM, visit over, she lost all interest in that school instantly.
Also know of top level D1's who encountered that
'Hitting mechanics change conundrum' during recruitment and chose elsewhere.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Many players these days, by the time they get to college have been whipsawed back and forth already on these issues. Rec Coaches, Travel Coaches, HS Coaches, College Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Pitching Coaches, Hitting Coaches, Skills Coaches, Parents, Online Forums, Videos and on and on. Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and some of them smell (that's the PC version). Not to mention with the extremely high turnover in College Coaching staff (going through that right now) all of it can change from year to year as a new "expert" comes along.

Trying new things is great, being forced to do something you don't believe in is wrong.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I would love to say these are things you find out BEFORE you get to the college (and you absolutely should), but the reality is the chances the coach is there the whole time you are is very, very slim. And who knows what the next coach will bring to the table. Or what assistant coaches they bring in for what purpose to teach what skill set.

And despite what many think - college coaches range the same as any coaching group - from 'shouldn't be allowed near a t-ball team' to 'awesome, best coach ever'.

The only thing a player can do is develop a relationship with the coaching staff. If they can't have an adult conversation with a coach; or the coach isn't capable of having an adult conversation (which is very possible); then it becomes more complex. Nod and move on. Do the drills. Listen. Manipulate the coach into thinking it is their idea. Work outside if it is mechanical. Produce on the field and thank the coach for their help even if they haven't helped (producing solves most everything). All life skills for working with others (and getting your way)....

And so on.

Added: I was bored and updated an old calculation I did for Head Coach turnover in College Softball over a 4 year period. Based on reported changes over the last few years and the number of known programs, it is about 73% likely a player who stays 4 years will experience a Head Coaching change in college.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Many players these days, by the time they get to college have been whipsawed back and forth already on these issues. Rec Coaches, Travel Coaches, HS Coaches, College Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Pitching Coaches, Hitting Coaches, Skills Coaches, Parents, Online Forums, Videos and on and on. Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and some of them smell (that's the PC version). Not to mention with the extremely high turnover in College Coaching staff (going through that right now) all of it can change from year to year as a new "expert" comes along.

Trying new things is great, being forced to do something you don't believe in is wrong.

Love the whipsaw analogy.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In OP the use of you implies me, a** dad. Not sure the abbreviation for that. Anyways ...

DD is in their hands, they can require or change anything they want. DD needs to deal with it but we would support her if she wants to bail.

As OP mentioned it might be quitting SB or transfering. Either would be fine.

I have mixed feelings about the current transfer rules but DD could take advantage of them if she needed to.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Two scenarios:
Pitcher: one of the best in the area in her class. Goes to D1 school. Coach changes mechanics and can't throw a strike to save her life. Quits.
Hitter: Freshman year hits 9 HR and .359 and is NFCA All region, next year new coach comes in and changes her mechanics. Hit's .097. Coach leaves, new coach arrives doesn't mess with her. 8 HRS

Why change something that is working???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying