College Camps front toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You would think the players that come help out at a camp would know how to throw front toss or practice prior to the camp. Three players throwing front toss today threw maybe 70 percent strikes. I mean in the dirt, hitting batters, not even close pitches.They threw very slow with pitches having an estimated 12 to 16 inches of arc/drop. One player threw the around the screen style with her arm at about 45 degrees angle. Disappointing for all involved. Rant over.

Aug 20, 2017
I posted about this a few years ago about how front toss is jacked up in softball. Most hitters have a front toss swing that doesn’t match their game swings. Feels are so different. And yes, I’ve seen terrible front toss at college camps.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
You would think the players that come help out at a camp would know how to throw front toss or practice prior to the camp. Three players throwing front toss today threw maybe 70 percent strikes. I mean in the dirt, hitting batters, not even close pitches.They threw very slow with pitches having an estimated 12 to 16 inches of arc/drop. One player threw the around the screen style with her arm at about 45 degrees angle. Disappointing for all involved. Rant over.
Well if someone else was always doing that for them why would they have ever learned to do it?

70% complain if you must.
OR get over it and use it for some selective hitting! 😁

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I posted about this a few years ago about how front toss is jacked up in softball. Most hitters have a front toss swing that doesn’t match their game swings. Feels are so different. And yes, I’ve seen terrible front toss at college camps.
I agree a good front toss hitter doesn't always translate over to a good hitter. Seen many front toss HoFers that are strike out kings when facing velo and movement.
BUT, if a college coach wants/needs to evaluate potential recruits swings it would surely help if the front tossers could throw strikes with a flat trajectory. Maybe even throw outside and inside depending on which side of the screen that divides the tossers they are tossing from. I guess that would be asking way to much.
At this camp, players only got one live AB starting with 1-1 count.
In contrast, a player I know attended a different camp same day. About same amount of players. Players did tee work and front toss in the cage and got 6 live ABs.
Which camp do you think had more opportunities to better evaluate players?

Aug 23, 2016
I agree a good front toss hitter doesn't always translate over to a good hitter. Seen many front toss HoFers that are strike out kings when facing velo and movement.
BUT, if a college coach wants/needs to evaluate potential recruits swings it would surely help if the front tossers could throw strikes with a flat trajectory. Maybe even throw outside and inside depending on which side of the screen that divides the tossers they are tossing from. I guess that would be asking way to much.
In contrast, a player I know attended a different camp same day. About same amount of players. Players did tee work and front toss in the cage and got 6 live ABs.
I think my DD was at the camp you're talking about (in Long Beach). A lot of girls hitting front toss had to take golf swings, the pitches were so low. DD was mad that she didn't get a chance to show off her hitting because the front toss was so bad and the pitcher she faced in her one live AB couldn't throw strikes. I think her interest in the college plummeted because of the quality of the camp.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I agree a good front toss hitter doesn't always translate over to a good hitter.
✔️

coach wants/needs to evaluate potential recruits swings it would surely help if the front tossers could throw strikes with a flat trajectory.
Why? Batters don't get to tell the pitcher please throw only level strikes.
Got to make adjustments.

Holy mackerel
Clean off your parent goggles 😁🎉 the world is not going to be perfect for your daughter. You'll have to make some adjustments!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
✔️

Why? Batters don't get to tell the pitcher please throw only level strikes.
Got to make adjustments.

Holy mackerel
Clean off your parent goggles 😁🎉 the world is not going to be perfect for your daughter. You'll have to make some adjustments!
Answer the question, please.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think my DD was at the camp you're talking about (in Long Beach). A lot of girls hitting front toss had to take golf swings, the pitches were so low. DD was mad that she didn't get a chance to show off her hitting because the front toss was so bad and the pitcher she faced in her one live AB couldn't throw strikes. I think her interest in the college plummeted because of the quality of the camp.
Different camp. I don't think some people realize just how bad the front toss truly was at this camp. It was or at least should have been embarrassing. Everybody (parents and players) were all disappointed. I feel its almost derelict of duty for a coach to hold a subpar camp. I think its part of their job and they should give every effort to run a good, well organized camp. And I reiterate, some coaches are just better at running camps that will give them the better opportunity to evaluate players. Other are like...this is the way we have always done it and they wonder why then they were under .500 in their conference. Organization is a skillset that most good coaches have figured out.

May 17, 2023
Different camp. I don't think some people realize just how bad the front toss truly was at this camp. It was or at least should have been embarrassing. Everybody (parents and players) were all disappointed. I feel its almost derelict of duty for a coach to hold a subpar camp. I think its part of their job and they should give every effort to run a good, well organized camp. And I reiterate, some coaches are just better at running camps that will give them the better opportunity to evaluate players. Other are like...this is the way we have always done it and they wonder why then they were under .500 in their conference. Organization is a skillset that most good coaches have figured out.
Conversely my DD went to camp where one of the front toss stations had a girl throwing smoke. She was about 30 feet and doing full walk through motion. It was coming out mid 50s. Saw lot of swings and misses, but few hitters who could square it up really stood out.

The other station was more normal slingshot from 15-20 feet at slower speed. Most everyone hit well on that side, so gave a real contrast.