Coaching Controversy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
You must have the finest hitters and pitchers in the country, with none of the usual psyche issues most adolescents possess. How do you find anyone worth playing?

I think his point is quit expecting less from players. Expect mentally tough and more often you will see them rise to the challenge. Life lessons are more important than pitching and hitting I think.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
To me live pitching practice should be used periodically (once or twice a month?) since it A) let's the pitcher practice with hitters in place; B) Let's hitters practice making good decisions on ball selection.

Having a controlled situation where pitchers are working on a specific pitch or location lets the hitters acclimate to that pitch. Say a pitcher is working on her drop - since it will sometimes hit the dirt and sometimes not drop (I'm talking younger girls - 12 to 14) the hitter gets practice on reading the ball. If the hitter is constantly swinging at balls in the dirt then it's the coaches' job to help her read the pitch better. On the other hand if the pitch doesn't drop and the hitter isn't swinging then it's the same scenario for the coach.

In a more general scenario, we've had mini scrimmages where the girls are broken into 3 teams of 4 each. Each team has a pitcher. After all pitchers have warmed up one team bats while two are in the field - a coach can fill in the extra position. You can work it that each team hits twice each, or 10 pitches each, or three outs with regular pitch count. The idea is simply getting more "game time" in with the advantage of having the coaches' input.

Think of it this way - it's just as important to learn when not to swing at as it is learning when to swing - so if 7 of 10 pitches happen to be balls sometimes and the hitter is learning to take pitches it's still worthwhile.

Oct 19, 2009
There is a place for the machine but no substitute for live kid pitching. It is easy for some kids to time a machine throwing at the same location every time. Experience off a live pitcher is a whole diffferent animal and totally necessary. They need to get used to discerning balls and strikes, hitting different spots in the zone, waiting on the change-up, etc. If your player sees her first CU in a game you're in trouble.

The big objection to having your own pitchers throw to the team is the connotation that BP is supposed to be easy to hit. I have at least 4 pitchers on my 10U squad and tell them to never back off their real stuff at any time.

The hitters get live experience, the pitchers and catcher's get some work. Getting them properly warmed up is a necessary part of a well organized practice.

I also tell my pitchers that if they are up there worried about hitting somebody they can't pitch here. It's the batter's responsibility to get out of the way. All their lives they were raised to be nice girls. When they take that circle it's time to be nasty.

I think live hitting is good with your pitchers. But have them pitch as if they were in a game. Never tell them to groove it in there. Also with any coach or older player that "IS GROOVING IT IN THERE" make sure they are pitching behind a net for any team 14U or over.

Sean Hall

May 13, 2008
Best thing to do is get a kid on the team whose dad used to be a men's pitcher. :) A broke down old men's pitcher ought to be able to cruise at the girl's speed all day long if he can slow down that much.

I love that Marc. I, in fact, am an old broke down men's pitcher and a high school coach. I find that I am just about right now for high school girls and throw lengthy batting practices with the kids getting a lot of good swings and decent pitches to look at. It works well for us. If I hit one of them I have to buy them a sundae.

May 7, 2008
Live pitching at practice...

IMHO, and after numerous years of involvement and keen observation (Dad coached daughter, pitcher, until this past August and she is now looking at showcase teams for spring)...he would say, mission dictates. My husband, former Marine, gifted teacher, System Engineer carefully chooses his hard, fast rules. First consideration is athletic development and proper expectations; second he believes in drilling during practice and executing during game time; third, address the problem with proficiency. If he feels the problem is in the mental game of the batter or pitcher, he may use live batting or pitching (for a portion of the practice). He believes in keeping practice interesting, lots of drills (especially those skills/game plays poorly executed in last game), and customization for a player, if possible. Generally, he involves as many dads as he can and will have a dad work with one or two athletes having difficulty in a certain area. He has a different assessment of all his athletes and addresses those areas needing improvement in many creative ways (including homework). In terms of live batting or pitching, he evaluates it based on the team as a whole. For the team, if it is a problem with mechanics, he focuses on soft toss or T work. If the problem is seeing the ball (timing), he may use batting cages or use a taped ball. There have been scenarios, however, that the dynamic is in the mental game. I have watched him warm my daughter up in the backyard prior to practice. I have known him to bring in pitchers from the next travel age bracket (as my daughter has also done for teams). Proper preparation prevents poor performance (which includes practice performance)...

He holds a zero tolerance policy on bad sportsmanship by athletes, assistant coaches and parents.

Go Yanks ;)!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06