Clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Had an issue come up this weekend, and I don't have a rulebook to reference. ASA rules. 2nd inning and the other team is taking live batting practice outside their dugout. The umpires stopped them but an irate parent presented a book and told the umpire to find that rule. I always assumed you couldn't do that and I know in High School you can't, but can anyone reference it in the ASA book?

TIA

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Had an issue come up this weekend, and I don't have a rulebook to reference. ASA rules. 2nd inning and the other team is taking live batting practice outside their dugout. The umpires stopped them but an irate parent presented a book and told the umpire to find that rule. I always assumed you couldn't do that and I know in High School you can't, but can anyone reference it in the ASA book?

TIA

Couldn't do what, stop warm-ups or present an umpire with the rule book?

I'd hate to see live batting practice inside the dugout :eek:

To start, an umpire shouldn't even acknowledge a fan/parent/spectator, etc. If the fan doesn't like the umpires' game management, that road that led them to the field can just as easily lead them away.

Waving a rule book at an umpire is in bad test and considered by many insulting and poor sportsmanship. I'm not saying that every umpire knows all the rules, but there are processes for misinterpretations and trying to show up an umpire isn't one of them.

AFA clearing the field, the umpire is responsible for all activity between the fences the moment they step on the field. Rule 10.1-4 provides them with all the authority they need to manage the game.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
MTR, it was the opposing team in the 2nd inning, they set up a net behind the dugout and were doing side toss while the game was going on. I think they were using the "in-the-hole" player to go out and hit before she went on deck.

I know in NFHS rules it specifically says you cannot do live batting practice while the game is underway, I was asking what ASA rules are on this.

@Crabby, can you tell me what rule 5.12 says?

Jun 22, 2008
5-12 Coaches, players, substitutes and other bench personell shall not be outside the designated bench, dugout/team area except when the rule allows or is justified by the umpire.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, it was the opposing team in the 2nd inning, they set up a net behind the dugout and were doing side toss while the game was going on. I think they were using the "in-the-hole" player to go out and hit before she went on deck.

I know in NFHS rules it specifically says you cannot do live batting practice while the game is underway, I was asking what ASA rules are on this.

@Crabby, can you tell me what rule 5.12 says?

You are correct, I missed the 2nd inning. However, I have no problem with whatever a team wants to do outside the fences as long as it does not involve the play on the field or coaching players from there. I think using 5.12 is a bit stretching it as that is more of a control device, not a gotcha. An umpire has more important things to do than babysit players and coaches.

Also, I cannot see anything in the NFHS rule book concerning this since 3.6.6 notes an allowance of a designated warm-up area. If you have another reference as I would love to see what I'm missing.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Oh that was a State High School rule

3. Batting Practice During Games: Reports came in last year from coaches and officials associations about teams
taking various forms of batting practice during games. Some were using batting cages or bullpens and others were
hitting wiffle balls. No team involved in the game may take batting practice of any kind, even in a batting cage, once
the game has started. Other teams not involved in the game cannot interfere or impede the game in progress. If the
sounds of batting in the cage simulates the sounds of the game, (i.e. batted balls) it is not to be allowed. If the facility
has doors that can be closed and/or the game umpires are in agreement that the sounds don’t interfere with the
game in progress, it is permissible.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In California, at least during the high school playoffs, no batting practice (except soft toss) on the day of a game. Here's a school that was hitting wiffles before the game: disqualified (after originally winning the game).

And just why are there stupid rules like this that have little to no bearing on the game or safety of the participants?

Oct 24, 2010
In California, at least during the high school playoffs, no batting practice (except soft toss) on the day of a game. Here's a school that was hitting wiffles before the game: disqualified (after originally winning the game).
Wow. Just, wow. Unbelievable. No batting practice on the day of the game. Can they take batting practice after the game and still get DQed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan