choosing the right team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD would rather play on the more competitive Team, and earn her spot, but the commute time would take this option off the table. It would be OK for a little while but would get old very quickly and interfere with her other activities.

Dec 19, 2008
We went thru this in first year 12's. Team disbanded. Finished season on a team where she didn't get much pitching/playing time. Found another team when she started her second year in 12's. Was #2 pitcher, and quickly became #1 pitcher. Now, she is starting her second year with her current team and they are 16U. She is only 14, and pitches every other game. The point of that last statement is if we had not have found a team where she could get pitching time, I guarantee she would not be playing at the level she is now.

Will she get rocked? Sure she will, especially when they combine the 16U/18U like we have to play in this weekend. But, because of the playing time, she will get even better.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Is there no top level team closer? I would be inclined to go to the closer team, with the goal of finding a team that would be the best fit next year. Hopefully closer to home. If there is no top level team closer, then you have to decide how dedicated you and your DD want to be to SB. In order to improve and play at the highest level you will need to play for the best coaches and against the best competition. If that means a 1 hour trip, well, next year you will know what you're in for.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I think the answer is easy - it's determining which team fits that answer is the hard part.

1) What (or how) do you and your daughter determine as fun?
2) Which team best meets those objectives?

Fun for some may be some softball and quite a bit of social activity. Others may determine fun as really working hard, improving your softball skills and playing against top competition. Only your family can answer that.

I will say if the goal is to be the best softball player she can be, don't let travel time be a deterrent. The hour drive is when homework and good discussion take place. We’ve done it for 4 years and I actually enjoy the ride. Getting ready to make drive right now actually.

I've seen kids pick the wrong team, not like softball and never play again.
My daughter was a "local" B travel team reject (actually never asked to play) yet found a team that fit what she was looking for and has thrived. She now loves the game and plays against some of best teams in our state (at her age level) and she does fairly well.

I don't know which team meets your objectives but do as much due diligence as you can prior to making a decision.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You state that you are unsure that you can make the total commitment to the first team. That team would want her there 100% of the time.

Mar 28, 2011
List out your top priorities and go from there.
Mine:
Best coaching possible, (hands down, clear winner).

Program Reputation, (just because it’s beginning or established doesn’t mean anything. Do your home work; find out who runs it and what experience they have. Get credible references).

Location, (only you know how commute works in your schedule)

Competiveness, (better is always good, when possible)

Opportunity to play, (when a player plays up, they learn faster. They become better just by playing with others better then themselves. The expectations are higher, the commitment greater. I would rather overwhelm them with the challenge, then to underwhelm them with intermediate play, within reason of course).

Like was previously said, and something I tell my girls over and over again; Games are not where we improve our skills, games are where we perform the skills that we have improved in practice. Practice is how we get better.
That is why Coaching is so important and my number ONE top priority.…….

Apr 7, 2011
Well we made the choice to play for the local team tonight. We had many decisions to look at and we thought the best fit for my DD and our family was this team. As much as I would have liked her to play for the other team we just didnt think we could give the team the commitment they were looking for. We were so overwhelmed with the decision we had to make but now it feels good to have made a decision. We have been practicing with both teams for two weeks now and it wasnt easy to choose. Thank you and to the rest of you that have responded to my concerns. Good luck to all and have a wonderful softball season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd