Choosing DD’s Position.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD was put at SS a ton when she was playing coach pitch baseball. She was the only one that could field a ball. The next season 2nd some. That's the last she's ever played MI. LOL

Personally, she always played preparing for "the next level". Never college or the majors or whatever, just the next level.

My DD carries 3 gloves her bag. Catcher's Mitt, 1st base glove and an infielder's glove. She never knows where she is going to play any given game, but she is prepared to play when told. Parents often ask me where she is going to play in college. My reply is wherever the coach wants her play and as long as she is in the line up I really don't care. Because she is prepared to play anywhere! Each season, she is put where the team needs her the most.

Oct 4, 2018
Lately I'm spending time with my 9 year old working on OF. She doesn't play OF.

But if her feeder team only has a spot in OF, I want her ready to try for it. Plus, shagging fly balls is fun, and a good skill regardless of position.

Jun 8, 2016
Lately I'm spending time with my 9 year old working on OF. She doesn't play OF.

But if her feeder team only has a spot in OF, I want her ready to try for it. Plus, shagging fly balls is fun, and a good skill regardless of position.
From what I have seen in practice, the three best OF on my DD's 10U team are the SS,catcher and 2nd baseman..they have played maybe a combined 5 innings out there all year...LOL.

Jun 12, 2015
Probably the best thing that happened for myself and my kid was finding DFP when she was about 8. I've still made my fair share of mistakes in this journey and will probably make more of them. But I read a lot (A LOT) of posts here, and tried to be open to the wisdom of those who have been through this before me. I had a lot more crazy potential in 10U than I ended up reaching thanks to the parents and coaches here who have shared their experiences.

Nov 18, 2013
Probably the best thing that happened for myself and my kid was finding DFP when she was about 8. I've still made my fair share of mistakes in this journey and will probably make more of them. But I read a lot (A LOT) of posts here, and tried to be open to the wisdom of those who have been through this before me. I had a lot more crazy potential in 10U than I ended up reaching thanks to the parents and coaches here who have shared their experiences.

It’s been fun reading your posts and seeing them evolve the past four years. Might have been some borderline crazy early on, but you’re a wise veteran now!

Oct 4, 2018
It’s been fun reading your posts and seeing them evolve the past four years. Might have been some borderline crazy early on, but you’re a wise veteran now!

I've only know her as a wise veteran. I might have to go back and read her early posts. :D

Feb 26, 2018
I'm kind of in the camp that the position chooses your DD rather than your DD choosing a position. My DD played pretty much everything except pitcher from Rec all the way to her now 2nd year of 12U. She's athletic, fast, and has a great arm, so her main positions now are RF, 3B, and C. You want them as versatile as possible because you want a coach to be able to plug your DD in pretty much anywhere on the field. This will also help her TB chances later on down the road. I've never been the parent who says "My DD only plays this or that position". She plays wherever she is needed or wherever she makes the team better.

May 1, 2018
To answer the OG question. Where ever her coach puts her...... If she is left handed, outfield or first (pretty much the only exception.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livosbo