Can you refuse to take first on a HBP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
My daughter does it every time in 10u rec (she obviously doesn't do this on her select team)...when she gets hit and ump tells her to take first she will ask him to just rule it a ball. Is this actually legal?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I don't know if this is actually is legal or not, but I certainly see it done a lot with the more advanced players at the lower level.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I don't see the problem either. No different than catcher asking to get help from base Ump on a strike swinging call.

Batter "It didn't hit me blue"
Blue "Oh, BALL"
Crowd *goes wild*

:)

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Twice this season we had big hitters come up with runners on and get hit by pitches. One bounced just before it hit the girl in the foot, which I saw from 1st base box, but the ump did not, and the second the girl didn't even move, just took the hit in the shoulder. Both of these are legit reasons to not take a base, but Ol' blue was having none of it from me or the girls, so he made them take a base.
I don't think you have the option, I guess it just depends on the ump.

Mar 15, 2010
Our local rec league playing rules allow 8U and 10U coaches to choose to bat or take the base. 12U and 14U is left to umpires call. When I was coaching 8/10 I would judge it by the girls reactions. My rule was: Tears on her face, take a base. Smile as big as her mitt, let her hit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The ASA Rule (8-1-F) says, "A batter becomes a batter-runner when a pitched ball not swung at nor called a strike touches any part of the batter's person or clothing."

A batter-runner is defined as a "player who has finished a turn at bat but has not yet been put out or touched first base".

So, the rule says that when a batter is hit, he becomes a batter-runner. A batter-runner is defined as someone who has finished a turn at bat. So, there isn't an option to turn down a base.

Oct 19, 2009
I used to umpire in a local rec league where they used modified High School rules NFHS. That rule states that the umpire has discretion not to award first base if the batter makes no attempt to get out of the way. There were a couple times I invoked it and never got a complaint from coaches.

May 5, 2008
Some local rules do allow the option and the batter gets to choose whether to take the base or stay in the box and hit.

In addition, as others have stated, some rules state that if there is no attempt to get out of the way, the batter does not get 1st. Here's an example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPLzKjLhv8

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06