Bunting Position before hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2015
Hi: I have seen many college teams go to the bunting position before hitting. What is the advantage to this and does anyone know if there is any instructions available on how to do it correctly?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Hi: I have seen many college teams go to the bunting position before hitting. What is the advantage to this and does anyone know if there is any instructions available on how to do it correctly?

I see HS and travel / tournament teams do this. Often, it's not a bunt situation AND the batter doesn't even vaguely resemble somebody who would be bunting for a base hit. Expected bunting situations and / or fast LH slap-hitters aside, the only practical advantage that I can see is that it might keep someone who is consistently pulling pitches foul from getting around too early.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Without taking the time to read the other post I think it is a timing thing. DD can be a statue at the plate, circle conference she just stands in the box waiting to hit. I have been trying to get her moving around a little bit without the bunt thing but each their own.

Jun 11, 2013
Mostly for timing. Most of the kids I see do it have quick hands and it keeps them from opening up too early. Others argue that it doesn't work. I know the Florida Gators have done it, but haven't had much success recently.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I see it as a way to create "overlap" and insure that the hands are traveling rearward (load) as the stride occurs.

I like it best when the batter holds the bat forward to start,
but not in a full-on bunting stance. From that position, they can play cat-and-mouse with the defense,
and proceed to bunt or hit from this more "neutral" position.

Feb 7, 2013
Hi: I have seen many college teams go to the bunting position before hitting. What is the advantage to this?

I would ask yourself this question. If this technique is so superior, how come the the best players in the world (MLB players) don't do it?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I would ask yourself this question. If this technique is so superior, how come the the best players in the world (MLB players) don't do it?

i would say that technique can help young fastpitch hitters with some aspects of technique and timing.

Making the comparison to MLB is like comparing crab apples to apples.

Certainly we can acknowledge some differences:
closer pitching distances
underhand delivery
larger ball

and a more important one would be that bunting is a MUCH larger part of the girls/womens game than boys/men.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but keep in mind that most MLB players spend far more time in a cage than most teenagers. At least the teenagers on our travel team anyway. Multiple sports, homework, boyfriends, etc. That said, this isn't something I use often but is another tool in the tool box. DD has never used this in a game, but I will have her take a few swings like this when we are working in the cage. It seems to help dial her in. I have asked a couple girls from our team to use this in games, but they are the type that hit once or twice per week (team games or practices), but hardly ever touch a bat otherwise. Using this seems to help them find their sequence.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
i would say that technique can help young fastpitch hitters with some aspects of technique and timing.
How so...
and a more important one would be that bunting is a MUCH larger part of the girls/womens game than boys/men.
If the hitter was bunting,which she is not. The hitter is using this 'aspects' for technique and timing per you.
Let's put aside the fact that the hitter is 'drawing' in the infield to create 'holes' in the defense. Also put aside the possibility of injury of 'drawing' in the infield and swings away.
Added: Most hitters will, when doing this 'Technic' will be all back all forward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez