Bulletspin finally recognized

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2021
Huh. Never heard that before. Oh well. I stopped watching baseball after a few years of having fastpitch DDs. I needed to start bringing a pillow to baseball games.
100% agree. I don't know how I ever watched a full 9 inning game years past

Aug 21, 2008
Bill, I read that as trying to throw the ball with maximum velocity caused the mechanics to breakdown. That's just a guess, though.
Ahhh, ok. That makes a bit more sense, and is pretty common. I don't know what it's called where anyone else lives, I call it "over-throwing" when a kid does this. And if this is truly what it is, over throwing, then it's a pretty common thing that happens to all kids. Especially those kids wanting to keep up with their teammate, classmate, or a "friend-emy" who routinely tells your kid that she's not as good because she only throws 3 pitches compared to the "friend's" 9 pitches or the friend's 68mph pitch or all the pics on social media showing all the mail she gets from colleges (which are usually camp invites, sent to 5,000 other kids not a scholarship offer). I swear, I feel so bad for kids today who have to deal with social media.

Jan 1, 2023
I admit, I'm not as smart as most other people. But, isn't "seam orientation" the same thing as spin?
I think spin is the direction a ball rotates. But you can make bullet spin move using laminar flow, including right.

You can see in this video there is no big step left, but this bullet spin pitch just keeps “breaking” right.

Jul 19, 2021
Ahhh, ok. That makes a bit more sense, and is pretty common. I don't know what it's called where anyone else lives, I call it "over-throwing" when a kid does this. And if this is truly what it is, over throwing, then it's a pretty common thing that happens to all kids. Especially those kids wanting to keep up with their teammate, classmate, or a "friend-emy" who routinely tells your kid that she's not as good because she only throws 3 pitches compared to the "friend's" 9 pitches or the friend's 68mph pitch or all the pics on social media showing all the mail she gets from colleges (which are usually camp invites, sent to 5,000 other kids not a scholarship offer). I swear, I feel so bad for kids today who have to deal with social media.
And don't forget to put part of the blame on college coaches who will eagerly offer a kid throwing 64 that walks 8 hitters per game over a kid that throws 60 with perfect spin and can hit a coffee cup on command. Kids see that enough times and they start to realize that velo is king when hunting that scholly.

Aug 21, 2008
And don't forget to put part of the blame on college coaches who will eagerly offer a kid throwing 64 that walks 8 hitters per game over a kid that throws 60 with perfect spin and can hit a coffee cup on command. Kids see that enough times and they start to realize that velo is king when hunting that scholly.
That comment seems oddly specific. lol

Even though the words you wrote are true, there's usually more to the story. I've seen coaches cross kids off their list for various reasons and there's more to it than who pitches fastest. Sometimes it has to do with who that coach thinks is a better fit for their program, such as who they think is more coachable. And who has a bigger upside down the road, don't forget college coaches aren't just looking at the kid now, they have to see into the future trying to figure out how good someone is GOING to be, not necessarily how good they are now. I've known coaches who have crossed kids off their list when the coach is incognito (wearing not school gear and not recognized by the crowd, which does happen now and then). This coach crossed a kid off their list because the kid showed blatant disrespect and ungratefulness to her parents at the concession stand. I've also heard coaches being negative towards kids whom they witness having their parents carry their gear bag out of the park and to the car.

Now are those things fair? Probably not. But, a mid-major college coach makes about $100k per year. They aren't going to risk their job, their team, potential game wins, etc. by having kids that they don't think are coachable, program wreckers. Or any kind of potential problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl