Bulletspin finally recognized

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Perhaps somebody else can find and post reference to this-

Beyond this conversation about the lettering on the ball. There is another topic about seeing a DOT or SPOT that is supposed to appear on a ball rotating and traveling as it comes in (cannot find the other video or post on it) never have seen that happen myself.
Teaching pitchers and catchers to see the dot (axis) is a high priority for us. When they both see the spin, they can work together to make adjustments and improve the spin.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
There is another topic about seeing a DOT or SPOT that is supposed to appear on a ball rotating and traveling as it comes in

In baseball, you can alternate a 2 seam or 4 seam grip (rotate the seams straight or across) to show either a red dot, or a red circle. It's easy to see when you catch it..
hitter-view-breaking-pitch.jpg

I had my pitcher son practice it each way, and I suggested to him that if he threw the same curve/slider back to back, he should alternate the seams.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Teaching pitchers and catchers to see the dot (axis) is a high priority for us. When they both see the spin, they can work together to make adjustments and improve the spin.
As I have been commenting yes I see Spin and read the spin. And along with that I see where the axis point is because I'm seeing the angle of the spin. * for me the axis point has never appeared as a different color!
Being that the axis of the spin is not always visible to the batter I'm always looking at that spin. The whole ball moving!

*Agree reading the spin and seeing the angle of the axis is really important! I teach it as well.
Pitch different spins to the catchers not only for framing and receiving pitches but also in the dirt because of how the ball reacts differently.

Add this
Screenshot_20240609-054920_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
In baseball, you can alternate a 2 seam or 4 seam grip (rotate the seams straight or across) to show either a red dot, or a red circle. It's easy to see when you catch it..
View attachment 29712

I had my pitcher son practice it each way, and I suggested to him that if he threw the same curve/slider back to back, he should alternate the seams.
Thank you for posting that picture. Perhaps because a softball does not have greatly different colored seams on it like the baseball does that the baseball is giving the benefit of having red seams to create a colored Dot. ?‍♀️ Don't know.
just know that I've never seen a different color dot on a softball whether it be white black red.
But I can always see the spin.

LOL for me the dot is the entire ball!
? RIP IT!

Good chat folks!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
Maybe this does not need to be said but….

What I believe we are really talking about is mostly bullet spin. As miracle max says, “mostly dead is not all dead”

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
Bullet spin does not create movement. Yawed bullet spin does. Bullet spin that is not in line with the direction of movement will cause movement toward the seams. I wish someone here would make a bullseye ball so you can see what's actually happening.BULLSEYE 01A.jpgBULLSEYE 01B.jpgBULLSEYE 01C.jpgBULLSEYE 05B.jpg

a young man who is learning my slow pitch slider claims he is getting a drop ball instead which means he is orienting the seams straight ahead but angled down. I've been trying it myself but I haven't figured out how to get it aimed down yet. Plus, in practice, I can't see anything like I can with the right-to-left movement of my slider. I suppose my catcher will be able to tell better than I can. But first I have to figure out how to get it oriented correctly.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Bullet spin does not create movement. Yawed bullet spin does. Bullet spin that is not in line with the direction of movement will cause movement toward the seams. I wish someone here would make a bullseye ball so you can see what's actually happening.View attachment 29888View attachment 29889View attachment 29890View attachment 29892

a young man who is learning my slow pitch slider claims he is getting a drop ball instead which means he is orienting the seams straight ahead but angled down. I've been trying it myself but I haven't figured out how to get it aimed down yet. Plus, in practice, I can't see anything like I can with the right-to-left movement of my slider. I suppose my catcher will be able to tell better than I can. But first I have to figure out how to get it oriented correctly.

I'll try to post a pic of some of the markings I use tonight.

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
here's the grip i use to get left to right movement. I circle the backside bullseye rather than the frontside. Of course, I use HE and not IR. [I'm starting to learn some of these terms.] 07 2 SEAM GRIP INDEX FINGER.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl