Bug Squishing, why not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD went to a D-1 college hitting camp recently, and the head coach was preaching the 'drive the back knee in' advice.

Do you consider the back knee action the same, that is, a reaction to what is happening in the rear hip & upper rear leg? That's my take on it. I don't talk much about on knee and foot w/ DD. I don't think 'drive the knee' is wrong necessarily, but it makes more sense to me to discuss hip and even back more than knee.

I often say and kind of (well did) start the phrase 'the rear leg is reactive'. Meaning once you have rear hip coil down, the rear leg ir and knee driving in happens automatically. You cannot be at bat facing a 70mph pitcher releasing from under 40 feet and think 'drive the knee in', or do you need to.

Ya gotta try it. Dads and moms should be hitting as much as dd. It's fun and good exercise.

Late add. You can even do it slow mo. Coil your rear hip. Put your hands at your rear shoulder. Pretend to turn the barrel and pull back against the hip coil with your back and core....see what your leg does.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2013
I still hear that term with young kids. What they actually teach the kids is different, though. The squishing concept seems to be a visual aid to get the kids they actually use their hips, the kids all seem to think they're squishing but in reality they aren't just spinning a heel

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I still hear that term with young kids. What they actually teach the kids is different, though. The squishing concept seems to be a visual aid to get the kids they actually use their hips, the kids all seem to think they're squishing but in reality they aren't just spinning a heel

That has been how we have been teaching it. More to get them to get their hips into it and not worrying solely on just the foot rotating on the ball of the foot. We still teach them to drive into the swing, not just rotate.

Kind of unrelated, but a lot of the videos that are being posted are of baseball players? Let's see some more softball player videos.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Coil hips, drive forward, the rear foot will be a non teach!

I agree that the core is where the action is but isn't the rear foot a good sensor that feels the action created by the hip and leg? In that sense, I think the rear foot feel is a teach and useful in getting the desired core actions. I suppose that there are pros and cons to both approaches.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
How is it that baseball players swings are unrelated? A swing is a swing , is it not?

I didn't mean the swings are unrelated, I meant that all the videos are of baseball players not softball players. I would just like to see more videos of softball players regardless of the subject.

Does that make sense? Not saying the subjects are different, but the examples used.......

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That has been how we have been teaching it. More to get them to get their hips into it and not worrying solely on just the foot rotating on the ball of the foot. We still teach them to drive into the swing, not just rotate.

Kind of unrelated, but a lot of the videos that are being posted are of baseball players? Let's see some more softball player videos.

It's not that those of us making the gifs wouldn't love to make more...there just isn't any online videos of softball players. You can find almost every hit and definately every homerun in the mlb online with in hours of occuring. Finding video of a softball hit or homerun is like finding a gold nugget.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA

Try the model swings thread. Page 10 has a lot of examples of the things being talked about in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie