Bug Squishing, why not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
So I am new to the forum and have been noticing a lot of posts about not "squishing the bug". But, I cant find any post about WHY to not do this. Most of the coaches that I have worked with, have taught this. 2 of them have been coaches for 30+ years and are coaching at a local 2 year college.

Jun 18, 2010
I wish I could give proper credit to the author, but I just copy/pasted and added it to my notes:

Bug squishing is free spinning of the rear leg, or basically inefficient use of the rear leg.

squish_the_bug_zpseb6f0713.gif

Jun 18, 2010
Found it... from RHC:

Bug squishing is free spinning of the rear leg, or basically inefficient use of the rear leg.

Coil like shown in the video and you should feel force across the surface of the ground at your foot. You foot should feel like it wants to spin out (toes spin out toward catcher). Don't let the foot spin out, but let the force be sent back up the leg.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If you squish the bug you're just spinning on the back leg. You're not creating power. Quality hitters drive their bodies into the ball. Bug squishers just sit on their backsides, driving no power from the lower body forward.

Not surprised that coaches with 30 years of experience would say to squish the bug. That's how hitting was taught 30 years ago. But it hasn't been taught that way, at least by anyone who has studied what really goes on during the swing, for at least the last 10.

Always be suspicious of anyone whose "how-to" videos are on VHS.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I also often compare bugsquishing to a burnout. Most bug squisher have a locked out or even a early push back of the front leg. So they just "burnout", no weight shifting, no "launch".

I do like Howard and SL's cue of "land with a bent front leg...or soft front leg...or like your foot is landing on ice."

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you squish the bug you're just spinning on the back leg. You're not creating power. Quality hitters drive their bodies into the ball. Bug squishers just sit on their backsides, driving no power from the lower body forward.

Not surprised that coaches with 30 years of experience would say to squish the bug. That's how hitting was taught 30 years ago. But it hasn't been taught that way, at least by anyone who has studied what really goes on during the swing, for at least the last 10.

Always be suspicious of anyone whose "how-to" videos are on VHS.

It was only about 15 years ago that Mike Candrea was teaching bug squishing.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It was only about 15 years ago that Mike Candrea was teaching bug squishing.

When you get old all the years kind of run together. I recently had a guy out to look at my water heater because the pilot light wouldn't stay lit. I was thinking it was about 6 years old. He looked at the badge on it and said it was from 2002. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs