Bucket mom is scared of Daughter's pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I coach and catch my 12U daughter. A good catcher mitt is a must. I started wearing shin guards when a mid 40's pitch skipped into my shin and it ached all night. I also have a mask which I started wearing when she got consistently above 50MPH. The fastball is the least of my worries, as I started wincing a little when her rise started breaking late. It gives me a sense of security, especially if she accidentally throws when I am not ready.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Elizabeth, Take this from a long time coach who's 16 YO DD actually did break my ring finger, on my glove hand. Learn to catch. Buy the video, A Coaches Guide To Training Catchers by Dave Weaver.

I am betting that your glove, elbow and arm are at the wrong angle.

A pitcher is only as good as her catcher and she will soon be scared to pitch to you.

Oct 22, 2009
Like everyone says, get a better glove.

I'm a pitching instructor, so I deal with a lot of bucket parents. I've been scared for many of my parents! I find myself training them from time to time.
And like what Marc says, your catching improves the more you do it.

Don't wear rings while catching! I had 2 parents have to get theirs cut off in the ER, and one panic stricken mom who lost her wedding ring, only to find it inside her glove the next time she caught her again:eek:

Don't feel bad about your catching skills, I had a bucket dad once that could not catch--literally, the poor guy. Big ol tough dude - policer officer - the guys dad had never tossed a ball to him as a kid! All he could do was stick his glove out and deflect the ball away, I was so scared for him!:eek: