Bucket mom is scared of Daughter's pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2009
Ok, my daughter has been pitching (fastpitch) for 2 years. She is in a 12U select league. My husband work's alot so I (the mother) has always taken my daughter to practice, to games and sat on the bucket several times a week to develop her pitching skills. All of a sudden, in the past 2 months, I am scared to death now of her pitching to me. Over the summer her speed increased, not a whole lot but just enough that my eye hand coordination is not quick enough and I would get hit in my shins. So I took the next logical step over the summer and I purchased a full set of catchers gear. So that worked for a while. Now though she bruises my fingers so bad I can't hardly move them. Today I swore that she broke my thumb. Although it feels better now (3 hours later) I guess she just severely bruised it. What is funny, is that she probably only pitches 45-50 MPH (I am guessing, she has never been clocked). So if I am have trouble now, what will happen when she is 5-10 mph faster. It is off season, and as a team we are not practicing hardly at all, and our team catcher broke her thumb, so she cannot help me out. So my daughter needs pitching practice and I get beat up every time I am on that bucket. Is there a point in your daughter's pitching career that as a parent you call it quits with the catching?? So if you do call it quits who does the catching?? Any advise on what to do??

Elizabeth

Dec 12, 2009
CT
I've been riding the bucket now for about 6-7 years. I'd say if she is 12U and bruising your hand at 45-50 mph, you need to be looking for a decent catcher's mitt. The only time I remember my hand hurting was when I tried to warm her up with a fielding glove (ouch!!). I think with any middle of the line catcher's mitt or better, there should be more than enough padding.

May 12, 2008
First get a better mitt like they say and maybe a little instruction from a catching coach. It is really really fun to catch your kid when you aren't scared to death and beat up. But if you are, don't be shy about having her throw to a wall. Better than busting up mom and having her back off to cruise because she feels sorry for you. Also maybe you could find a boys catcher who would donate a little time or even pay him a little if you have to until her own catcher is available. I've always been impressed dads like Gary Osterman could catch their daughters. I know he progressed with her but still.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That might sound like a simple or silly suggestion but in addition to a good mitt, why don't you get your hands on a second hand catcher's equipment and wear the helmet, chest protector and pads or some soccer shin guards while sitting on the bucket.

There is a dad in our organization that gears up when sitting on the bucket to catch pitchers and he says that without it, he would be too scared. With the equipment, he feels protected and his confidence in being to catch the ball has increased.

Keep in mind.. she is only going to get faster.

And BTW, hand-eye coordination IS trainable. One way to train it, just play catch VERY REGULARLY with your daughter and other parents during team practices, pre-game warm-up instead of sitting in the stands while there is no game going on. That will help you.

Hope that helps.

Coach Marc

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I have been catching my youngest daughter now going on 9 years. What I found is that I need to stay at it - I can not take breaks. If I do, I get older, she gets stronger. I am 57, so no spring chicken but since I have kept up with it, its not too bad though there are days. Right now I am nursing two badly broken toes - monday will be 5 weeks, they are still very ugly, but healing and the pain is down quite a bit. I purchased steel toes shoes right after the incident and that helps. She went to a new pitching coach to whom spins are everything - thats what I was looking forward to, though my toes have paid the price. She is pretty proud of her drop - its inconsistent but we are working on it. The scariest pitch to me now is the rise ball, he has done some things with her rise ball that I did not think were possible - the scariest mix of pitches are a changeup followed by a rise ball - my fear is that - I call a changeup - and she throws a rise ball and I have a new 3rd eye that is optic yellow.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My daughter's 13 and this fall her speed has noticably improved to where I'm a bit more hesitant catching. I just use a large fielders glove & no protection, but I think I'll be getting a catcher's mask at least, plus shin guards. I've also considered wearing a bicycle glove on my glove hand to help with absorbing any force when I don't catch in the glove's web. My best defensive weapon though is the leap - if I perceive any ball will be hitting the ground in front of me I'm leaping out of the way like a bull frog buzzed by a cattle prod! It's saved my shins many a time!

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Akadema apm40 or 41. 33" or 33 1/2" baseball mitt. Never had a stinger with this glove.

I have gone thru the apm 66 ( to floppy, to quick but a huge pocket)), a Nokona cm buffalo series which after 3 months it was incredibly soft for a $250 glove, a heart of the hide (pocket to small) a A2K ( tiny wrist opening). Older people with sore hands need to check out the apm 40 or 41.

I think this is the glove Hillhouse might be using in some of his videos. Doesn't really matter. I do know that due to a broken wrist when I was young, I don't have the flexibility which some have. With the 40 or 41 I am able to knock a low thrown ball down with any part of the glove and not have my thumb bent backwards or any fingers hurt. Truly try it before you judge it. I think you will be surprised in a good way. And yes the pocket is plenty big enough for a 12" softball. $150

Don't recommend any of the $80 gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks