Bobble after tag on a steal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2020
Not sure I've ever encountered this before, but it stumped me ...

NFHS rules ... runner attempts to steal second, defender tags her but, immediately after the tag, the ball pops up in the air. The defender catches the ball in the air before it hits the ground.

Safe or out?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 10, 2020
What does the ball hitting the ground have anything to do with it? This is not a caught fly ball.

Fielder must maintain possession of the ball through the tag, if the ball pops out of glove they have not maintained possession of the ball.
That's what I thought in the moment, but I had never really thought about it before so I wasn't sure.
Thank you.

Jun 18, 2023
What does the ball hitting the ground have anything to do with it? This is not a caught fly ball.

Fielder must maintain possession of the ball through the tag, if the ball pops out of glove they have not maintained possession of the ball.

I mean, it's not that clear. It just says "securely held" and "not bobbled or dropped _after_"

what is 'after'? If the fielder immediately pivots to make a throw to first for example, and in doing so the ball flies out, that's probably still securely held after the tag. It seems logical to infer that if the act of tagging causes the ball to (accidentally) come loose, it's not an out, but where's that line?

Say it's a swipe tag, and the fielder clearly touches, securely, the runner at the apex of the swipe, but during the follow though the ball squirts out the top of the glove from the centrifugal force. safe? or out because it was the act of swinging the arm afterwards that cause the drop?

Jul 27, 2021
Not sure I've ever encountered this before, but it stumped me ...

NFHS rules ... runner attempts to steal second, defender tags her but, immediately after the tag, the ball pops up in the air. The defender catches the ball in the air before it hits the ground.

Safe or out?

Thanks in advance!
Safe
I mean, it's not that clear. It just says "securely held" and "not bobbled or dropped _after_"

what is 'after'? If the fielder immediately pivots to make a throw to first for example, and in doing so the ball flies out, that's probably still securely held after the tag. It seems logical to infer that if the act of tagging causes the ball to (accidentally) come loose, it's not an out, but where's that line?

Say it's a swipe tag, and the fielder clearly touches, securely, the runner at the apex of the swipe, but during the follow though the ball squirts out the top of the glove from the centrifugal force. safe? or out because it was the act of swinging the arm afterwards that cause the drop?
Safe

May 29, 2015

Think of it in terms of "completing the act." If the arm is still swinging after the tag, it is still part of the same act.

Anything that is close is going to become HTBT and judgements.

If the fielder immediately pivots to make a throw and the ball flies out, here is what I am looking for: what did the ball fly out of? If it was the throwing hand, we probably have a transfer and I am holding the out. If it comes out of the glove, now I need to ask another question: did it come out in the same motion that made the tag? If NO, then I'm willing to consider the transfer.

I hate to use cross-sport analogies (since I don't know their actual rules), but think of the football receiver having to make "a football move" after catching the ball. Same concept.

Mar 1, 2013
Definitely a HTBT moment and we can rabbit hole the discussion with what if's all day. "Held securely" is the wording but that's not defined specifically, so it's left up to the judgement of the umpire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl