Biting tongue at HS-run clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I belong to other softball sites and the high school issue is a big problem every year. I agree with Steve on the Dale Carnegie comments. As a business manager, I had to take all his courses. When kids know more than the coaches, they do feel threated. GOINGDEEP is correct. It is not just high schools. My dd was invited to visit a college that is trying to recruit her. They were doing a hitting drill that was poor. She told the instructor why it was poor and how to do the drill better. The college Ast Coach asked her where she obtained all this knowledge, since she was trying to see if the dd was BSing her. She told her Bustos. She helps me as a trainer at camps and clinics and has been with Howard Carrier for years. After that the coach left her alone. So colleges are just as bad as high school coaches. We have a big D1 in our area that the team hit 248 last year. The college coach wants to change everyone swings, so sometimes you just have to bear it.

Jan 24, 2011
So , does my DD do it the correct way and suffer the consequences or do it "their" way. I would like to think that results would trump all and as long as she performs it will be OK. But , this just isnt going to be the case. These same two coaches had her on JV last year and batted her 4th for every single game. She didnt "K" one single time the entire season. But , they still insist she change in order to be on Varsity. I am sorry to hijack this thread from OP , but it hit close to home and I needed to vent :)

Sep 17, 2009
Think of it this way: it took thousands of swings to ingrain the good mechanics, and thousands more to try to add something new, like better coil or stretch. Why would a few swings with poor mechanics undo it all?

Go along to get along seems to be the healthiest way to deal with coaches like this. I really doubt high school coaches have time to "teach" hitting. They are probably just throwing out some ill-informed pointers. And once the season starts they'll reward game production not drill mechanics.

I'm NOT downplaying the problem or impact on DDs at all...just offering some positive thoughts to maybe help get through it.

Good luck to all during HS seasons. I have an 8th grader, I have one more year before this hits me ; >

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Heard this before on this site.Smile and nod your head yes and do it the correct way.Most coaches will think you are doing it their way.I agree the results will trump everything.If you can hit,you will play.Plus the coach will take credit for the success.I feel your frustration.Do what you and your DD think is right.This is just a bump in the road.Hang in there and keep playing even if that means on the JV team.Be the best JV player.

Apr 1, 2010
Both of the coaches on this team are actually female. I believe that assistant coach (the coach in question) feels a little intimidated due to the fact that my DD knows quite a bit more about the game than she does. So , she often tries to prove her authority. Really frustrating for my DD. Does she just do it "their" way even though she knows it is incorrect ? Or , do we fight this battle all school ball season and then probably again next year when DD is in 8th grade?

I'm sorry your daughter has to go through this. Has she tried the "smile and nod, then quietly go back to doing it her way later" tactic? Often people who need to prove their authority are just looking for that show of acquiescence.

If she's really upset, maybe she could give up on middle school, go back to tb during 7th and 8th grades and wait until high school to play school ball. Alternatively, it's an opportunity to become the leader of the jv team and try to help them learn the game.

And, if the coaches keep mingling the varsity and jv for scrimmages, it's going to become very clear to all that they've stuck a varsity starter down on jv for whatever inexplicable reason. Best would be if she starts smacking the ball everywhere with her "inferior" batting style. The embarrassment of having her continually showing up the varsity girls may make them move her up.

Jan 24, 2011
I'm sorry your daughter has to go through this. Has she tried the "smile and nod, then quietly go back to doing it her way later" tactic? Often people who need to prove their authority are just looking for that show of acquiescence.

If she's really upset, maybe she could give up on middle school, go back to tb during 7th and 8th grades and wait until high school to play school ball. Alternatively, it's an opportunity to become the leader of the jv team and try to help them learn the game.

And, if the coaches keep mingling the varsity and jv for scrimmages, it's going to become very clear to all that they've stuck a varsity starter down on jv for whatever inexplicable reason. Best would be if she starts smacking the ball everywhere with her "inferior" batting style. The embarrassment of having her continually showing up the varsity girls may make them move her up.

After she got over being upset and embarrased about being put on the JV team even though several inferior players were on Varsity , she just got plain mad. She has decided to just "smile and nod" and prove to these coaches that they are wrong. If it were an option to just quit Middle School ball and just play TB , she would have probably taken that route but since kids here arent allowed to play TB and school ball at the same time , TB usually doesnt get going for 14u till mid May. She still believes that next year will be no different , but is going to give it a shot. I am trying to not be one of "those" parents. But, I am finding it tough.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yes. The girl was fine (aside from busted lip).

I am with those that promote doing it right. Be cooperative, yet stay the course. If she changes, then she has dumbed herself down to a level that justifies their incompetence. You spent a lot of time and money, an investment in your DD's softball experience. Do you think she would accept a bigger role, and failure?

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Any time you switch coaches it is hard. DD had a coach that wanted her to change her swing like you said. She is a catcher and he wanted to change the way she would pop and throw to second. I politely told him that she had been going to a hitting and catching coach for years so she would have a hard time changing. I then asked him to bear with her and see how the season goes. She caught every game and batted third all season. Never changed a thing. He just left her alone. Why mess with a good thing.

It makes me wonder if these coaches that want to dumb things down have ever really watched really good hitters/players to see what they all have in common?

I read the book "Hit Like a Girl", by Jennie Finch. She mentioned in her book that her high school coach was intimidated by her.

Why can't coaches just look at a horse and ride it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl