Big Surprise--No Fresno State

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Fresno State (36-23) was passed over...the first time in 30 years that Fresno State hasn't been in the tournament. Considering that this was Margie Wright's last year coaching Fresno, it is even more surprising.

So, Northwestern (24-27) ends up in the post-season tournament. NW ended up with an RPI of 57 (they beat Missouri and Texas A&M early in the year).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't get it. Maybe Margie stepped on the wrong toes. I played against her in rec ball when we were teens, I ended up at ISU (IL.) with her and coached against her when we were both at NJCAAs. She has been all softball for at least 50 years.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Considering that this was Margie Wright's last year coaching Fresno, it is even more surprising.
Sentimentality for a coach and tournament history should have ZERO weight in the selection process.

It should be based on how the teams did in the current year. I can't say I followed either team at all this year but it does seem like Wisconson played a tougher overall schedule and finsihed the year stronger than Fresno did looking at their schedules and results.

I suppose you could make a case for either as "bubble" team.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'd love to know how Northwestern got in. Yes they had a tough non-conference schedule, but they didn't do well with that schedule with a record of 2-9 against ranked opponents. There last real big win was the Missouri victory back in late February, but Chelsea Thomas didn't pitch that game.

They also finished officially 5th in the Big Ten. And that record included not playing the #1 Big Ten team, Michigan, at all this season.
Officially they are 27-27 (you do have to have a .500 record to get an at-large bid in NCAA Softball - they won their last 6 games at Michigan State (11-42, 0-28 conference) and Illinois (27-26, 10-14 conference) which isn't exactly awe inspiring.

So the NCAA took the 1st (Michigan) and 5th team in the Big Ten but didn't take either of the teams that were 2nd, 3rd or 4th. The teams 5th and 6th also had similar conference records to NW and better overall records (against weaker opponents though).

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm not defending the selection of Northwestern but looking at RPI

57 - Northwestern (14-10)
63 - Fresno
69 - Nebraska (14-9)
80 - Iowa (16-8)
84 - Indiana (14-10)

Big 10* conference record in ( )
Probably had something to do with NW being selected over the other teams being discussed.

*can they change their name already?

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'm not real fond of everyone but Utah getting in from the PAC12 and most hosting though good arguments can be made for all the teams. Washington hosting is a stretch with their conference record (and they didn't exactly load them up on the hard teams in their region either).

Lumping all the Florida teams together in Gainsville is nice for travel costs but not good for Florida softball. Would have been nice to see South Florida in particular in a different regional. None of the other Regionals seemed to take travel time into account.

And I am picking Florida State over UCLA. FSU has good days and bad days, but if they are on I don't think this UCLA team is as good as they have been in recent years. It will make the cross country trip worth it.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
And I am picking Florida State over UCLA. FSU has good days and bad days, but if they are on I don't think this UCLA team is as good as they have been in recent years. It will make the cross country trip worth it.

Called it... Hoping it was going to be in the last game of the regional, but still.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd