Big hops???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
How do you teach young fielders big hops? It's hard to duplicate high hops in fielding practice. Especially ones with top spin. My 7 year old DD is learning SS and 2nd, and I'm a little afraid for her when these hits are hit her way. A regular low bouncing ball I have confidence in her handling, but those high ones scare me a little. I was wondering if a tennis ball or taking fielding on a hard surface would help teach reading big hops. What are y'all's suggestions or tips.

Thanks
Chad

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A tennis ball or raquetball works good. Practice moving toward the ball, trying to get the ball on it's downward track before it bounces to just as it hits the ground. Avoid the area that it is on the upward bounce except possibly just the first few inches.

Jun 24, 2013
Do not mean to sidetrack your thread but are there that many high hops is SB?

(I agree with redhotcoach but does it happen very often?)

Oct 21, 2012
I've seen quite a few, we hit off the machine in 8U. It maybe a machine thing. But I've seen big hops in softball too. What does it matter if its 1 out of 20 or 1 out of 100. You still have to field them. RedHot appreciate the tips. I know it's easier to catch a long hop or a short hop. Just trying to get her to know how to avoid the in-between hop.

Thanks
Chad

Sep 16, 2013
The one thing you have to remember if you are going to teach how to handle high hops is to not make it a habit that they expect first. They still need to work low and adjust up. IF you work too much on the high hops, some girls tend to start to start high and work down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207