Beginners....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2010
This is my first year coaching in the minor division (10U). I have a roster of 12 young players and they are all great kids. I am puzzled on what to do to get through to these girls when it comes to having a good approach at the plate. Let me start by giving an example of one of my players at-bat: First pitch, called strike. I can see it click in her head, "Oh boy, she is a good pitcher, she throws strikes, I have to swing." Inevitably the next pitch goes about 10 feet over her head and she swings at the ball. This scenario is played over time after time with about 8 of the 12 girls that are on our team. I can see my biggest problem is teaching them to see a pitch and then make a decision on whether that pitch is hittable or not. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could help them out with? Most of these girls from what I can tell are first time players and I am definitely trying to make this experience fun for them but I can tell that they are getting frustrated. I am always staying positive and trying to help.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 20, 2010
I have coached a 10u rec team he past couple of years. What seems to have worked for us is to get the girls to approach each pitch as if it is going to be a strike and then adjust if it is not (essentially step on every pitch). After a while they realized that it is much easier to decide to not swing at a ball than it is to start their swing after realizing a pitch is a strike.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I tell them that if they have to raise their hands, don't swing.

Other than that, assign them lots of tee work. If you can get them hitting properly at home, you will see improvement.

Tees can be made rather cheaply and whiffle balls don't cost much.

Apr 26, 2010
Three great ideas, thanks. I have been talking with my parents trying to tell them how important it is that they work with their children at home. Otherwise, I am mainly trying to stay positive with everyone and making sure that they are all having fun. Win or lose, I want them all to end the season on a positive and fun note. Thanks again for the replies.

Feb 9, 2009
I was given this tip from someone on this board, and WOW..it worked for me..

Have your players stand at the plate with the bat AS IF they were going to swing. Then have your pitchers pitch to them. Make the girls verbally call the pitch before it reaches the plate. It makes them THINK about the pitch, and makes them track it...

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
First off, Husker, you seem to have a great attitude for working with girls at that level (i.e: making sure they have fun). Keep that up!

I also coach 10u rec, (mostly 9yr olds this year) and have more than a few girls that I call "my statues" (they're so rigid up at the plate, by the time they decide to swing, it's way too late) Like Andy said, I try to preach that it's easier to stop a swing, than to start it, so they should always assume it's going to be hittable.

This week, I started something new with the statues. I'm having them stand in the box with their hands a little forward of their normal position.. Then, when the pitcher starts her move, they pull the hands back into position, and shift their weight back, so they they can spring forward. So far, it's worked well in practice (against live pitching). We'll see on Thursday if they actually do it in a game

Jan 15, 2009
Try doing front toss with wiffles and start by encouraging them to make contact with anything within 6" of being a strike to reinforce to them that they can hit balls slightly outside the zone. If they swing at a pitch that is 18" out of the zone, ask them if that is a good pitch to swing at or if they should have waited for a better pitch.

Once they progress start having them be selective about what they swing at, (i.e. 0 strikes = your zone only, 1 strike any strike is a swing, 2 strikes anything close is a swing) and give them feedback on their pitch selection. You can't learn pitch selection from a machine (every ball is a strike) and you can't learn pitch selection from side toss or tee work either, it needs to be live pitching or front toss.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Speaking of working at home- just swinging a bat 25 times a day will help. Get set and imagine the pitch coming in and swing.

lots of times young kids (especially the statues) can't really swing a bat with any conviction. Taking swings on their own will make them more comfortable at bat.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You are right obbay. And I was surprised to find out that most rec girls (in Flagstaff, AZ) didn't own a bat.

If it is unaffordable, ask the parent to find a cut off broom stick, pvc pipe, etc. Even a whiffle ball bat will work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06