Batter interference??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
Runner on 3rd. Righty in the box. Catcher comes up throwing to pick off the runner at 3b.

Throw hits the barrel of the bat. Ump calls interference. Batter is out. Runner stays on 3b.

Isn’t something not correct here?

May 29, 2015
Runner on 3rd. Righty in the box. Catcher comes up throwing to pick off the runner at 3b.

Throw hits the barrel of the bat. Ump calls interference. Batter is out. Runner stays on 3b.

Depends. What was the batter doing or not doing? If it was interference, correct call.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

This is you have to see it to really say. The batter does not have immunity in the box. She has to remain stationary if she wants to be protected. If she moves herself or her bat during the play in question then yes she can be called for interference.

Mar 1, 2013
As noted - have to see it. “Actively hindering” is different from just being there.

Sep 19, 2018
I had my dog with me. I got distracted by the dog and the next thing I know.... For some reason, I always thought that interference had the runner closest to home as out, but I am guessing I am / was totally confused.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I had my dog with me. I got distracted by the dog and the next thing I know.... For some reason, I always thought that interference had the runner closest to home as out, but I am guessing I am / was totally confused.
With less than 2 outs, runner closest to home is out, other runners return to bases at time of pitch, batter remains with same count.
With two outs, batter out inning over.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
USSSA Rule 7 Sec 12...

A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when
there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.
PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.

USSSA FP Rules Interpretations on Batter Interference...

Intentionally interferes with the catcher’s throw on an attempted steal
EFFECT: Dead ball; Batter is out; all runners must return to last base touched.
EXCEPTION: If the batter is already out, the runner is also out.

Those two don't quite line up, but it's clear that the batter has to be doing something active. If the pitch was a ball, and the bat is still on the shoulder and not moving, by the letter of the rule, a throw hitting the bat isn't interference. However, in this situation, the umpired judged that whatever (had to be there) happened was interference. Batter out and runners return is the right decision. BTW...there's a "Dead Ball Table" on Page 58 of the 2024 USSSA Rules. Covers every conceivable situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831