batter changing position during windup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When DD was U14 and would get a sense of a pitcher's tendencies, she would sometimes set up far from the plate, baiting an outside pitch and then shuffle in closer during the windup/before release. She would do the same thing with crowding the plate and shuffling back.

One of her coaches once told me he thought it wasn't legal. she was never spoken to about it and I forgot about it and never checked a rule book to see. I haven't seen her do it in a long time, but I'm wondering if it is against the rules for ASA or HS.

Jun 22, 2008
She can move around in the box all she wants, just as long as she doesnt step out, then step back in and make contact with the ball.

Sep 3, 2009
I would be pretty sure its not against any rules. Examples like when a batter shows hit, but then maneuvers up to bunt; or a slapper moving through the box. I thought the only rules regarding the batter and the box, were in regards to hitting a ball completely out of the box?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Bustos does this all the time and we teach it. We bait the pitcher to throw the pitch we want. The post of the 2004 games that was taken down was her baiting the pitcher to throw an inside pitch. It was hit over 300 feet.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
SBF- you just reminded me that's where the idea came from. thought maybe I mis-applied what was learned but I guess not. You'll never go wrong learning lessons from Bustos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan