Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Let me get my first bragging in here. OK, I know next to nothing about these little girls' softball bats. I never played softball, only baseball. All I know is everyone keeps telling me that for my older daughter's age, 9, I want at least a -11 or -12.

So... started the travel ball practices. Working hard on lower body mechanics, so that has something to do with this, but my girl grabs a teammate's bat and promptly cranks one way farther than anyone in our league has ever hit a ball at this age, a very easy home run.

We no longer get to use rec bats so I look at this thing and think maybe I'll just buy one and it's a TPS Kozmo -9. What happened here? Did my DD just get a hold of one perfectly, or did this bat perhaps help?

Jul 26, 2010
The heavier bats will hit the ball harder. The issue is that the lighter bats will help them be successful at hitting the ball more often. Somewhere you have to balance out wanting those huge hits off slow/easy pitchers or working on swing mechanics with a bat that the kid can handle so she'll be successful against all pitchers.

It isn't the drop so much as it is weight balance. I just find it more difficult to teach proper mechanics with an end loaded bat in the hands of a kid without enough strength to hold it properly for one handed drills.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know why people are recommending -11 and -12 for anyone.
She is doing good, MR.T. With good mechanics, you could also look at an end loaded bat for her. My DD always used one. She is normal height and slim, but with a great overhand throw - so, I bought her Anderson RTs, Rawlings Plasmas, and Demarini EVOs. I still prefer Anderson, though.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am one that would recommend a -12, especially at that age. Bat speed is the most important thing they can have. If she hasn't faced a pitcher that is really good, she will soon. About every 3rd team has a 10 year old legend. I agree with Amy that good mechanics are needed, but I see about 2 girls per team with good mechanics. My 12 yr got a -10 this last winter, but still uses her -12 vs fast pitchers.
Also, not saying it's your daughter's case, but I see tons of girls cream the ball in practice, then can't hit in a game.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks all very much. This was hit much farther than she ever has before, so it will take a while to get any consistency. But it was fun to see. It was in practice with a coach pitching medium fast. I will take all the input into account, thanks again

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
MR T. This is very much a subjective question, so I will weigh in.
At the 9 yo age group I am a big believer in the -11 or -12 as I
like to see the young girls develop bat speed. As she gets older and stronger
you need to have an open mind when choosing bats. For the young girls,
I like the Miken bats.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I am a huge believer in bat speed. But when I was playing the metal bats weren't that far along. They were all probably shaped and balanced similarly so the issue was mostly how heavy did you want to go.

I had no idea about all the different materials, construction methods, balancing, length, etc. that I would encounter with today's softball bats. I'm still quite lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32