Bat recommendation.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Sorry. Thats what a sales rep told me. Several others between here and softball fans said the same. Next to each other they look the same. What is the dif?

I am a Miken and Worth Rep and I also own a Miken/Worth Store. That sales rep prob was trying to sell you a bat or didnt really know all that much. If you stand the bat up right next to each other, the taper should be the first thing that appears diff to you. I dont want to get into all the 454 layer technology and all that stuff compared to the NXT shell. I'm not discounting either bat, they are both awesome bats. Just saying that they are not the same bat, thats all. So somebody telling you that you can spend a couple bucks less for an NXT and its a 454 is not being honest or just doesnt know the bats completely.

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for the info, Core. Have a feeling that perhaps the Miken is being "oversold" a bit. DD just got one so it will be interesting to see if the bat lives up to the hype. Her coach (hitting instructor and travel ball coach, also an NCAA division 2 assistant) could barely contain his disappointment. Think he wanted her to stick with LS.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks for the info, Core. Have a feeling that perhaps the Miken is being "oversold" a bit. DD just got one so it will be interesting to see if the bat lives up to the hype. Her coach (hitting instructor and travel ball coach, also an NCAA division 2 assistant) could barely contain his disappointment. Think he wanted her to stick with LS.

Have compared and shared experiences, not just feelings, with my tb team and nearly every fp bat made. I couldn't disagree more.

I got a great deal on a freak, it had the distance of the xeno, nearly the distance of the rockettech, more distance then our stealth and cf5, and more consistent then all of them. I got excited, blew it up a around the net, dozens of others have thanked and confirmed...so please forgive me for taking it personally.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD got the Miken Freak NXT as a Christmas gift. She has only used off of a tee and soft toss so far. It sounds powerful. Will have to see against live pitching. She really likes the feel of the handle grip.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

The bat is definitely not oversold. The NXT is right there with the 454 and any other top of the line composite bat. Its a very good bat and the prices are a steal for them right now. Like I said before, Miken hasnt made its mark in FP bats as of yet, so the NXT didnt get the love like the other manufacturers that are more known for quality FP bats...therfore, the price has dropped quicker.

Oct 10, 2011
I wrote this before, but when DD did a comparison with her 6 month old CF5 and her brand new Freak of the same listed weight and length, there was no real difference in distance off a tee. After about a 100 - 200 hits on the Freak, it was averaging about 15-20 feet farther than the CF5. I have no idea now what the difference would be after adding hundreds of more swings, because we sold the CF5:)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I wrote this before, but when DD did a comparison with her 6 month old CF5 and her brand new Freak of the same listed weight and length, there was no real difference in distance off a tee. After about a 100 - 200 hits on the Freak, it was averaging about 15-20 feet farther than the CF5. I have no idea now what the difference would be after adding hundreds of more swings, because we sold the CF5:)

The newer top of the line composites are now made to be hotter out of the wrapper and to reach their full potential quicker than years past. But with that, comes the penalty of not lasting as long. Newer comp bats are NOT team bats. They absolutely will not last. But thats why they have a year warranty. They are basically saying you are getting 2 years and 2 bats when you buy a good comp bat :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA