Bat Size Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2021
Hello all,
Im looking to buy a new bat for my 9yr DD for the fall. She's 4'4" 75lbs athletic build, her shoulders are 15in across. Shes a strong hitter, batted 4th most of the year. Last year i got her a 21' CF 29/18 which she is still swinging. Im torn on the next size up, I want something she will grow into this fall and use in the spring. Im thinking about a 30in -10 or a 31 -11. Will she get more power from the -10?. Also Im thinking about getting something with a little hotter than the CF although i cant say nothing bad about that bat its a workhorse. Im thinking about getting a Ghost, If i go with -10 maybe try Mantra or the new LS Meta. I know the ghost likely will break but it sounds like the hottest out there. Give me some input guys! Thanks!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Rule of thumb is doubling the shoulder width measured from point to point. So if it's truly 15 inches, you'd want to go with a 30 inch bat. The other rule of thumb is to get to a drop 10 asap. That means you'll be looking at a 30/20. If your DD is a power hitter, you'll want to go with an end-loaded bat which is the Mantra. It's the only truly end-load FP bat contrary to popular belief. Just be aware it's a bit old school as you'll need about 750 good hits on it before it's fully opened up but once it does, I've found it to be hotter than anything else out there in the right hands.

Sep 19, 2018
I wouldn't go up 2"/2 oz. Go with a 30" drop 11 or 10
Understanding every is different, and grow at different times. I agree here. When my dd finished summer of 1st year 10s, I bought a bat + 2 in both inches and weight. I was thinking, she'll have 9 months to grow into it. It was too much of a jump even with the time inbetween. Come spring, it took 3 months of swinging in BP before she started to look right swinging the bat.

Jul 26, 2021
I kinda mispoke when i said grow into it. she needs a 30in bat now in -11. So the question now is should i get a 30 -10 for the fall season and go up 2 ounces or get a 30 -11 and probably get another bat next spring? shes growing like a weed.

Apr 20, 2015
30 drop 10 for fall and spring. You won't cause many problems with small bat. You will cause lots of them with a bat thats too big and heavy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 26, 2021
looking like a 30in -10 at this point. Mantra is intriguing but i feel like its a gamble if she's going to like it once its broken in plus going up in weight with an end loaded bat from a CF. Im sure she will like the ghost but obviously the durability issues are there. I havent seen a mantra around the park yet not that necessarily means anything. She really likes her CF and has hit hard with it, how do you guys feel about the CF? Prism?. A comparable hitter on the team had an LXT, that thing sounds awesome but she ended up swinging the same CF as my DD by the end of the year....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The new LXT's are having the same breaking issues as the Ghost from everything I hear. Any other Wilson product (LS and Demarini), except for the new LS Meta which I've heard little about, are good bats but nowhere near the pop the Ghost, Mantra, Power Carbon or Echo have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802