Bat help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
sounds good thanks for the info, will admit going to be hard to convince DW to get another bat cause we got the 27in 1 motnhs ago cause her old bat was dented up and end cap feel out so we had to make a quick run to academy to get another one and being season already strated they didnt have a great selection and just got the heavier one hoping she can grow into it, plus it was a great deal on a Bustos that i couldnt pass up.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Honestly, tell DW to expect to buy at least one new bat per year. Your DD is going to grow like a weed over the next several years. If she wants to play at a high level, and as she advances in both size and skill, you'll be hard pressed to keep up bat wise.

ETA: The real problem is that it can become really addictive to shop for bats and equipment (see the GAS thread). My DD's been swinging the same size bat since she was 12 YO. She grew up a Rocketech metalhead. After a full year of searching and spending money on just about every top of the line composite bat out there, I finally found one she liked and felt similar to her RT. She's ben using this model for the last year and a half. Now, her friend on the HS team has a RT and DD used it several nights ago on a lark in practice. She came home and told me there's no comparison between the 2 anymore. So off I went shopping for the RT on-line. (sarcasm on) I was so disappointed (sarcasm off) that I bought 2 for her JIC.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2015
If you had the choice of watching your DD hit 10 250' home runs with a 34/26 or 15 205' home runs with a 34/24, which would you choose?

Oooooh.... ya got me there...
I'd have to pick 15 laser beam 205' HRs, over 10 250' HRs. :D

With the Zepp and the Pocket Radar she SEEMS to hit the ball harder with the 34/24, vs. the 34/26.
Once we get out on the 300' field and measure them, we will know for certain.
No she's not hitting them out on a 300' field...only for measurement.

As for bleacher coach...bat speed is king...ball speed seems to be the result...:D

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Useless comment of the day.....Chicks dig the long ball...especially when they hit it. Speaking of a laser blast, anyone see that shot from UNC to beat South Carolina on Wednesday night? Sucker got out in a hurry.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
FWIW...my daughter went from a 32 -9 to a 33 -10 with very positive results this season. As others have said, maximizing force by determining the balance between mass and acceleration is critical, but also consider ball exit speeds and bat control in the mix in regard to force being applied to the ball as efficiently as possible. If she can maintain good swing speeds with a heavier / longer bat, but can't put the bat on plane with ball it wont do her much good. I would try to identify what her max weight and length is without losing speed and that she can still control enough to generate good exit speeds. My experience is that while you can get incredibly analytical in the physics of the swing, at that age it will come down to which bat feels the best to her. Good news is you can justify the fun of buying a lot of bats.

Jul 14, 2015
Op, just curious...did she move up to 8u this year? Just wondering because when my girl was in 6u she was beating the ball up. She had a vicious swing. When she moved up to 8u she couldn't get anything in the air. She used the same bat, same swing... the pitching distance didn't change much. I was baffled. It took me half the season to realize they used a real softball in 8u vs the rubbery one in 6u lol. So we upgraded her bat and worked on the details in her technique and stuff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13