basic plan of attack

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
10u-12u. What do you guys teach as a basic way to approach an at bat. Cut the plate in half? Look for your pitch until you get 2 strikes? Take a lot pitches? Be aggressive early in the count? I know each situations calls for different answers. Wanna hear some different approaches.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Expect a pitch to hit EVERY time. Swinging should be automatic. The only decision is to stop the swing, if necessary.

Especially at a young age, I see a lot of girls afraid to strike out, so they don't swing in hopes of drawing a walk (my DD was one of these). Sometimes they get "lucky" and walk, but just as often they strike out looking at three good pitches. When they do swing, it's typically far too late, hurried, and tentative. If they happen to connect, it's weak because their mechanics have been lost in their panic. I want to see them get their swing process started on EVERY pitch, expecting it to be one they can hit hard.

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
I like that approach. My DD is not a great hitter because she swings at anything close any count. Makes a lot of weak contact. Rarely swings and misses rarely hits foul balls.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Good advise Eric. I always rally my girls, especially when I have a new one. I always stress ' Everyone will strike out" Do not be afraid to strike out" This is fastpitch. I think I say it every game. My dd is ultra aggresive and its because I have instilled this very approach. Again i agree , when panic sets in everything they have been taught becomes reactionary and you can kiss the muscle memory, mechanics, motor skills, technique, whatever you wanna call it , but kiss it goodbye!

That being said there are different approaches in hitting that allow you to TAKE A PITCH OR HOLD UP without being to late to accomplish that! ( Meaning you have time to stop your swing, their are certain mechanics that allow you to do this and ones that dont but I DO NOT DEBATE HITTING BEACUASE THEIR ARE TO MANY HITTING NUTTS AND ID RATHER NOT GO THERE ) Thats another story!

On defense i always strees move your feet. The best approach to teach for that in my opinion is have your players ALWAYS ASSUME A BAD THROW. Nothing i hate more than a player stretching instead of moving their feet. It has to be taught and the mental awareness is where it begins IMO!

Good Post

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
I like that approach. My DD is not a great hitter because she swings at anything close any count. Makes a lot of weak contact. Rarely swings and misses rarely hits foul balls.

Humpty if thats the case you may wanna look at the swing itself! She obviously has good hand eye cordination!

Good luck!

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Just anecdotally the handful of teams I have coached the girls who were very aggressive, a couple even with some pretty wild and crazy movements, did more than just fine in the long run.

Obviously it's different for rec up to A ball what is expected, but in general I prefer aggressive hitters at the young ages, and not a lot of take signs.

Jun 11, 2013
I think it depends on the hitter. Some hitters can hit with 2 strike and some are essentially out with 2 strikes. If you can't hit with 2 strikes you need to be aggressive and swing at close pitches. If you can work the count, pick zones to drive the ball with < 2 strikes. I know the philosophy of some coaches is you get 3 swings so make sure you use them. The problem is that some good hitters will put a ball in play almost every time they swing so they need to make sure they are swinging at pitches they can do something with. Good TB pitchers will give you nothing good to hit if you show you will swing at it.

I'm not saying that aggressive hitters can't hit with 2 strikes because many can, I'm saying that kids who can't hit well with 2 strikes need to be more aggressive IMHO.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with canyonjoe. Especially having a DD that pitches. When we face a team that I would say is "overly aggressive", we try to use that as an advantage. She has had innings where she has thrown three outside drops and promptly fielded three ground balls from her pitcher's position. Three pitches = three outs. Can't beat it!!! Until a hitter gets the first strike, I would prefer them to hit "their" pitch instead of "the pitcher's" pitch. Then the hitting zone will expand after getting one strike. However, I do coach that you should be prepared to hit every single pitch. I want to see every part of the swing mechanics until they decide "I don't like that pitch".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think it depends on the hitter. Some hitters can hit with 2 strike and some are essentially out with 2 strikes. If you can't hit with 2 strikes you need to be aggressive and swing at close pitches. If you can work the count, pick zones to drive the ball with < 2 strikes. I know the philosophy of some coaches is you get 3 swings so make sure you use them. The problem is that some good hitters will put a ball in play almost every time they swing so they need to make sure they are swinging at pitches they can do something with. Good TB pitchers will give you nothing good to hit if you show you will swing at it.

I'm not saying that aggressive hitters can't hit with 2 strikes because many can, I'm saying that kids who can't hit well with 2 strikes need to be more aggressive IMHO.

Simpling being aggressive is a short-term solution that doesn't address the root of the problem. Agressive hitters are the easiest to get out. You never have to throw them a strike! To be a good hitter, aggressive or not, hitters absolutely must learn to be selective. Good hitters are selectively aggressive. The best hitters are selectively aggressive with 2 strikes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Humpty if thats the case you may wanna look at the swing itself! She obviously has good hand eye cordination!

Good luck!

I have to agree with HOF on this.

My 9yo DD (as I mentioned in my previous post), was the type afraid to strike out. After the All-Star season finished last Summer, we put a lot of focus on her hitting. Going into Fall Ball, she had the ability to hit the ball solidly anywhere near the strike zone. At that point, we turned our focus to her mental approach and trust in her ability. She became the most consistent hitter on her team with just 1 strikeout in 10 games, and most often, hitting the first decent pitch she saw.

The combination of being mentally prepared to hit, the ability to swing the bat well, and confidence makes for a dangerous hitter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl