Baseball or fastpitch catcher's mitt for Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
She had a lesson last night, but her trainer refuses to let me catch her lessons. My first attempt at catching her will be Saturday the 7th. I may fire up the Jugs to see how I do, but for now, I'm scared. I've been pounding the pocket with a 12" SB-12 to ensure the mallet doesn't form the pocket in the size of a baseball.

Wish me luck.
Catching Anna is still one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever got to do, I miss it!

Anna’s PC would actually call me and ask me to come to her facility and catch girls who couldn’t get a catcher or who were way too much for their parents to handle! I’m 25 miles away from her, always got paid for my trouble!

This PC was a huge drop ball fan, so there’s that! 😳

You said you were scared, I hate I had to read that!! 😝

I did get to catch 3 or 4 D1 commits, never understood why they named it a softball??

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Even though it may be common,
its peculiar to me that there are pitching instructors that will catch for their students.
Particularly because they cannot see entirely what the pitchers body is doing.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD is home from college and I have to catch her today.

I’m scared, that low drop and the rise near the eyes, yikes. When I haven’t caught her in a while 60 seems like 75.

Maybe I’ll make her throw into a net and I’ll just catch the change? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My DD is home from college and I have to catch her today.

I’m scared, that low drop and the rise near the eyes, yikes. When I haven’t caught her in a while 60 seems like 75.

Maybe I’ll make her throw into a net and I’ll just catch the change? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plan accordingly! 😄

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Catching Anna is still one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever got to do, I miss it!

Anna’s PC would actually call me and ask me to come to her facility and catch girls who couldn’t get a catcher or who were way too much for their parents to handle! I’m 25 miles away from her, always got paid for my trouble!

This PC was a huge drop ball fan, so there’s that! 😳

You said you were scared, I hate I had to read that!! 😝

I did get to catch 3 or 4 D1 commits, never understood why they named it a softball??
I used to love catching her. She would walk out the bus stop in 5th grade and throw to me in the street while she waited for the bus to arrive. There were more than a few times I had to chase the ball before it rolled into the sewer.

I don't mind catching her outdoors as much as indoors. The lighting is always harder indoors, so it makes for the ball doing funky things with my eyes. She throws hard. Once she went north of 60 MPH, it got harder to see the ball. The first ball I caught at 64 was the difference maker. I had the Pocket Radar on a tripod behind me and outside the netting, but I knew that one was harder than the rest. Then she went and broke my toe with a change up. A change up, for crying out loud. The last time I caught her a few weeks ago she decided to wear a white practice jersey. That was fun picking up the ball coming out of her shirt.

I think I'm scared because of the fact I know the mitt isn't exactly game ready yet. It could make for a bit of an adventure. I think I'd be more confident if I could crouch the whole time instead of sitting on a bucket. I just feel better protected with my gear in a crouch than sitting on a bucket. But, the knees don't agree with me crouching that long anymore.

Oh, and we're learning a drop this winter. That should be fun.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Even though it may be common,
its peculiar to me that there are pitching instructors that will catch for their students.
Particularly because they cannot see entirely what the pitchers body is doing.
This ^^^ times 1,000. I know some do it with regularity, but how do you focus on mechanics and the ball at the same time? Hint: you can't. At least, that's what I believe.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This ^^^ times 1,000. I know some do it with regularity, but how do you focus on mechanics and the ball at the same time? Hint: you can't. At least, that's what I believe.
✔️Not a one dimensional activity.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I used to love catching her. She would walk out the bus stop in 5th grade and throw to me in the street while she waited for the bus to arrive. There were more than a few times I had to chase the ball before it rolled into the sewer.

I don't mind catching her outdoors as much as indoors. The lighting is always harder indoors, so it makes for the ball doing funky things with my eyes. She throws hard. Once she went north of 60 MPH, it got harder to see the ball. The first ball I caught at 64 was the difference maker. I had the Pocket Radar on a tripod behind me and outside the netting, but I knew that one was harder than the rest. Then she went and broke my toe with a change up. A change up, for crying out loud. The last time I caught her a few weeks ago she decided to wear a white practice jersey. That was fun picking up the ball coming out of her shirt.

I think I'm scared because of the fact I know the mitt isn't exactly game ready yet. It could make for a bit of an adventure. I think I'd be more confident if I could crouch the whole time instead of sitting on a bucket. I just feel better protected with my gear in a crouch than sitting on a bucket. But, the knees don't agree with me crouching that long anymore.

Oh, and we're learning a drop this winter. That should be fun.
I was messing with you earlier, trust me, I get it!

The worst Anna ever hurt me was on a change up, so yeah I get that also!

One thing as far as being a Dad and getting hurt, I remember exactly the time, place, her age, and what field we were on when I said never again will I ever pitch to Anna without a screen. She was 12, and I never did it again after that day! Almost died!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I was messing with you earlier, trust me, I get it!

The worst Anna ever hurt me was on a change up, so yeah I get that also!

One thing as far as being a Dad and getting hurt, I remember exactly the time, place, her age, and what field we were on when I said never again will I ever pitch to Anna without a screen. She was 12, and I never did it again after that day! Almost died!
I learned that lesson after the infamous lacrosse ball incident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan