Baseball or fastpitch catcher's mitt for Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
After fighting it for a long time, I had to upgrade from my Liberty Advanced Fastpitch catcher's mitt to a Heart of The Hide 34" baseball catcher's mitt. 62-64 proved the LA wasn't up to the task.

My question for you bucket dads is if you feel the baseball mitt will handle to larger ball size? If so, what's your experience with them?

Thanks.

Oct 4, 2018
I use a HoH as well. I don't even know if mine was baseball or softball. I basically shopped for the biggest one I could find. Makes me think it was baseball. Working great.

Sep 1, 2021
I just pulled the trigger on a 34'' Vinci Custom fastpitch catchers mitt. I spent a lot of time deciding what my next step should be. Mine are 10u and 12u so I'm still doing fine catching with my 14'' slowpitch glove. But I figured I'd get started breaking a mitt in now, and I wanted something that pops. I also didn't want to have to make another decision in a couple years so I'm planning on using this until the end.
I'm a little worried about the hand stall. I don't have long fingers but they are thicker. I'll update this when it comes in. I was also worried about the pocket size in the baseball mitts. I found a lot of 35'' gloves that are hard to find in fastpitch models but I still worried about the depth of the pocket.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
For a Fastpitch player, use a Fastpitch specific catchers mitt. Not so sure it would make that much difference for a Bucket Dad. The extra padding (baseball) might be helpful but it could also limit some flexibility and the smaller pocket size in a baseball mitt could also cause some fumbling issues. Any other position, I believe either a baseball or a fastpitch glove could be used. Just my .02

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For a Fastpitch player, use a Fastpitch specific catchers mitt. Not so sure it would make that much difference for a Bucket Dad. The extra padding (baseball) might be helpful but it could also limit some flexibility and the smaller pocket size in a baseball mitt could also cause some fumbling issues. Any other position, I believe either a baseball or a fastpitch glove could be used. Just my .02
That's been my concern, too. Other than the LA, I can't find a fastpitch mitt big enough for my hands.

I found an All-Star baseball mitt with a 35" size, but I went with the HOH.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
That's been my concern, too. Other than the LA, I can't find a fastpitch mitt big enough for my hands.

I found an All-Star baseball mitt with a 35" size, but I went with the HOH.
What HOH did you go with? The only baseball mitt that I think would work great is All-Star's 35" knuckle ball mitt, I used one for a lesson one night probably 5 years ago, pretty cool mitt.

My All-star CMW3000 worked great for me, fantastic Dad mitt!

Aug 9, 2021
Black and red Under Armour catchers mitt. It was relatively cheap and available quickly on Amazon (I think I paid $85). Been using it for several years now. Fits my big paws just fine.

Edit: Ordered in 2018; UACMW-100 Framer Series Softball Catching Mitt

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What HOH did you go with? The only baseball mitt that I think would work great is All-Star's 35" knuckle ball mitt, I used one for a lesson one night probably 5 years ago, pretty cool mitt.

My All-star CMW3000 worked great for me, fantastic Dad mitt!
I went with this one:

Rawlings Heart of the Hide 34" Baseball Catcher's Glove PROYM4BC

I carry the All-Star 35" mitt, but even at my price it was $75 more. If I don't like this one, I'll swap it for the All-Star Pro Elite CM3000BT.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee