Baseball glove better than softball glove for my 12u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2024
new to softball and this platform, love them both! Ive been getting great info on gloves - need new glove and my 12yo does not have strong hands so easy squeeze and break it is more important than quality of leather and longevity.
But then I start seeing several suggesting getting my DD a baseball glove instead of softball..... is this true? and been wasting my time looking at softball gloves lol

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Baseball gloves have way more options, and as long as you break them in with a softball, they work great. They're no harder to break in, and the leather tends to be the same.

I catch for my daughter using a Rawlings HOH Yadiar Molina model mitt. It handles a softball just fine.

Nov 18, 2015
Others will chime in I’m sure, but lots of posters (based on their experience) have found BB gloves to be better constructed than SB gloves.

The SB-specific gloves may have a smaller hand stall, but that can also be solved by re-lacing the hand strap (that’s what those extra holes are for!) or getting a “DP” version. (The DP standing for Dustin Pedroia - his line of Wilson gloves has a much smaller hand stall, and works well for youth).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I always have and always will be an advocate for baseball gloves for fastpitch softball, the only dedicated "softball" glove in our house is a All-Star CMW3000 catchers mitt.

At her young age with smaller weaker hands, you should get her started now wearing her glove two-in-the-pinky (TIP), it has several positive benefits....one being it puts her hand in a position / angle that gives her much more hand strength to squeeze a glove closed, it increases pocket size, and it gets her index finger out from directly behind the pocket to avoid stingers to her index finger.

If she's already wearing her glove TIP, disregard everything above.....except the baseball glove part! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968