Barely Any At Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2021
Nothing to add, all great advice so far.
Players at 12U need reps, reps, reps.

Sounds like an immature coach. Good that you reached out to her Dad.
Hopefully he will help you. Let us know.

But just in case, start looking around at other teams. Can't hurt to go observe during down times at tournaments.

And next time, ask to pay monthly.
No matter what team you're on.

Good luck.
We do pay monthly, but I just paid for the start up fees, which was quite a bit.

But yes, I do agree that reps are super important at this age. It was sad watching my daughter listen to her teammates talk about all their at bats after the games when she only got one. Even if they think she is not a strong hitter, they aren't even giving her an opportunity to prove them wrong.

Jul 6, 2021
"but the coach never responds to me,"
^^^^^^^Unacceptable childlike behavior. My guess is she is an ex-college player lacking in common social norms.

Well, this is why I advocate to ask questions. Lots of questions before joining a team. By asking questions you set the tone of what you expect from the team.

How many players do you intend to carry on the roster?
How many pitchers?
Where do you see my DD in the batting order?
Will she get time in her secondary position?
What tournaments do you plan on attending?
Will we be taking a weekend off each month?
Are there any dads coaching on this team?
Will you be batting the roster at friendlies?

Your DD is a pitcher. She has the golden ticket! If she has a little speed and can throw strikes, she has lots of options. Next tryout offer you get remember to ask questions.

***Paid for the season??? That is not how it works in So Cal. Here you pay start up fees (uniforms) and monthly dues. Probably the reason why there is so much team jumping.
Sorry, I didn't mean we paid for the season, I meant that we paid our start up fees, but man did they charge and arm and leg for start up, more than I have seen from any of our local teams.

It's just hard, because she likes the coaches and the girls, and likes that they trust her as a pitcher and loves that she is a lefty, but this at bats issue is getting to her, and me.

Jul 31, 2015
We do pay monthly, but I just paid for the start up fees, which was quite a bit.

But yes, I do agree that reps are super important at this age. It was sad watching my daughter listen to her teammates talk about all their at bats after the games when she only got one. Even if they think she is not a strong hitter, they aren't even giving her an opportunity to prove them wrong.

OK, that's a bit better at least. Sorry you have to go through this.

But you do have some leverage - after all, the org owner is her hitting instructor!
What does it say about him if your DD isn't get at bats?

Seems like the coach has already made up her mind about your DD. And perceptions are really hard to change.
You might make a goal to recover what you can from this season and then move on. You and your DD deserve better.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD stopped getting at bats in 14U. She was the P1. I think it bothered me more than it did her. She became PO, and does not enjoy hitting. Did not seem to make a difference during recruiting, and on her current 18U team only 1 pitcher hits.

There are a lot of pitchers that hit though, and if she enjoys it find a team where that happens. At the very least she deserves a fair shot and there are many times where the entire roster bats. I mean this is 12U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 6, 2021
OK, that's a bit better at least. Sorry you have to go through this.

But you do have some leverage - after all, the org owner is her hitting instructor!
What does it say about him if your DD isn't get at bats?

Seems like the coach has already made up her mind about your DD. And perceptions are really hard to change.
You might make a goal to recover what you can from this season and then move on. You and your DD deserve better.
Exactly! Thank you for all of your thoughts and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How many players are on this 12U roster? Is this a So Cal org?
Also, I would relay to the coach's dad that she has been unresponsive to your text messages. Totally unprofessional. I would also hint that your DD not happy with current situation and might have to look elsewhere. I will bet dollars to doughnuts she will get ABs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles