Back yard batting cage?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2021
I envy the pictures of all these great setups! I researched for months different products and configurations to set up a cage/lane at our house. End of the day, the utility of what we'd end up with just wasn't worth the expense or the intrusiveness, as we have a weird lot that couldn't easily accommodate a the size of a cage or lane that would provide decent practice conditions.

What we ended up doing was trying out the Win Reality product on my DD's Oculus. It's been better than I thought it would be. The initial set up is kind of a pain, but once you do it a few times, it's pretty easy. She's able to see 50-60 live pitches in a 20 minute session. Factoring in set up time, the sessions are maybe 25 minutes, start to finish, so she can get one in every day she's not practicing. Velo for the program she's using maxes out at about 56, which is fine for her as a first year 12U. It's good for pitch recognition, as you see balls and strikes and a variety of spin pitches in addition to the FB. She's been using it for about a month now, and her timing, pitch recognition, hard contact and OBP all have improved. In terms of expense, we had the Oculus already and the WR program is, I think, around $200/year. Just another option to consider.

May 3, 2019
I envy the pictures of all these great setups! I researched for months different products and configurations to set up a cage/lane at our house. End of the day, the utility of what we'd end up with just wasn't worth the expense or the intrusiveness, as we have a weird lot that couldn't easily accommodate a the size of a cage or lane that would provide decent practice conditions.

What we ended up doing was trying out the Win Reality product on my DD's Oculus. It's been better than I thought it would be. The initial set up is kind of a pain, but once you do it a few times, it's pretty easy. She's able to see 50-60 live pitches in a 20 minute session. Factoring in set up time, the sessions are maybe 25 minutes, start to finish, so she can get one in every day she's not practicing. Velo for the program she's using maxes out at about 56, which is fine for her as a first year 12U. It's good for pitch recognition, as you see balls and strikes and a variety of spin pitches in addition to the FB. She's been using it for about a month now, and her timing, pitch recognition, hard contact and OBP all have improved. In terms of expense, we had the Oculus already and the WR program is, I think, around $200/year. Just another option to consider.
I think there's a need for actual tee work, side toss, front toss, machine work (some may argue this one), live pitching, etc. However, we all also have to work with what we've got for budget and space. Having said that, it sounds like you've found a decent alternative. I've been considering the Win Reality product as another tool. You mentioned a maximum of 56 "for the program she's using." Do you mean the HS program and does the college or pro level offer faster pitching? I wouldn't want something that has a top speed of 56.

Sep 13, 2021
I think there's a need for actual tee work, side toss, front toss, machine work (some may argue this one), live pitching, etc. However, we all also have to work with what we've got for budget and space. Having said that, it sounds like you've found a decent alternative. I've been considering the Win Reality product as another tool. You mentioned a maximum of 56 "for the program she's using." Do you mean the HS program and does the college or pro level offer faster pitching? I wouldn't want something that has a top speed of 56.
Velo elevates based on age. The max velo for my daughter's age is 56, but it goes up as ages go up.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Best investment I’ve ever done. Trapezoid cage, carpet, mat, pitching machine…
I have one of those from Batting Cages Inc. It was much less expensive and easier to install than a standard cage. The only thing you have to do is stake down the net when it gets windy or it will damage the frame. Also, I always take down the netting in November to preserve it for the winter.

May 28, 2019
I have one of those from Batting Cages Inc. It was much less expensive and easier to install than a standard cage. The only thing you have to do is stake down the net when it gets windy or it will damage the frame. Also, I always take down the netting in November to preserve it for the winter.
Yes, i have clips on the net to keep the netting off the ground when not in use. A rabbit or squirrel got to it in one spot and made a small hole. Keep varmits in mind w netting.
And yes, during some hurricanes and storms, i've put a ratchet strap or two to the frame to be super careful.
I'm hoping to sell my travel trailer soon and will be able to put the entire cage on my driveway in backyard. carpet the whole thing.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yes, i have clips on the net to keep the netting off the ground when not in use. A rabbit or squirrel got to it in one spot and made a small hole. Keep varmits in mind w netting.
And yes, during some hurricanes and storms, i've put a ratchet strap or two to the frame to be super careful.
I'm hoping to sell my travel trailer soon and will be able to put the entire cage on my driveway in backyard. carpet the whole thing.
Yup, I have had a few birds, squirrels, and rabbits trapped in my cage, too. I keep it clipped up with carabiners when the landscapers come or they will destroy the netting with their weed whackers. I have had mine since 2017, and the netting is showing its age with a few holes, but I ordered the patch kits and it's all fixed now.

BTW, these nets hate the snow. I forgot to take it down a few years back when we got hit with an early-season snowfall. It accumulated on the netting and nearly collapsed the frame before I got out there and beat it all off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes