At what stage do we let something go, and what stage do we fix it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
On the "Another Pitcher" thread there was a comment made that at her level letting her leap was ok. She is 9 years old. That comment made me think a little. At what stage do we as coaches not allow certain trends that lead to bigger issues go? At what stage in the development of our pitchers do we start to fix those trends?

I thought this would lead to a good discussion and I'm eager to hear the pro's piece of mind on the subject.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I am certaintly not a "pro" but I (with help from PC) am teaching my 7YO to pitch dragging her pivot foot along the ground from the rubber so she learns the correct way to pitch early on. So my answer to the question would be it's never to early to as you say "correct the trend". IMO there is a correct way(s) to play this game, why not teach it from Day 1 (whether its running to first stepping on the safety bag, scarecrow position in throwing; alligator position in fielding, or dragging pivot foot in pitching).

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I don't believe the intent was saying a 9 year old leaping is ok, it's just easier to correct then a deep drag. I like a very light toe and teach "the rules say you have to keep one foot in contact w/ the ground, so we will do so as lightly as possible."
Generaly, when I get a student that drags their foot too hard, I'll have her drill leaps to get her to feel how far and fast she can move when she doesn't DRAG her momentum, then we go back to a LIGHT toe drag.

Jul 14, 2008
I don't believe the intent was saying a 9 year old leaping is ok, it's just easier to correct then a deep drag. I like a very light toe and teach "the rules say you have to keep one foot in contact w/ the ground, so we will do so as lightly as possible."
Generaly, when I get a student that drags their foot too hard, I'll have her drill leaps to get her to feel how far and fast she can move when she doesn't DRAG her momentum, then we go back to a LIGHT toe drag.

I developed a drill many years ago.....and still use it today to correct "leapers"......

I put a piece of paper under the pivot foot and have the student "drag the paper" forward under the pivot toe without tearing it apart.......

Works wonders correcting leapers.......:D

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I developed a drill many years ago.....and still use it today to correct "leapers"......

I put a piece of paper under the pivot foot and have the student "drag the paper" forward under the pivot toe without tearing it apart.......

I like it! Thank you

Jun 6, 2009

Many years ago when DD was learning, she had the same problem. I posted on either the old RSS or FPF for suggestions for a cure and this was one of the responses I got. It does work. I guess it must have been you. :D

Jul 14, 2008
Many years ago when DD was learning, she had the same problem. I posted on either the old RSS or FPF for suggestions for a cure and this was one of the responses I got. It does work. I guess it must have been you. :D

I remember many years ago introducing several coaches to the drill/concept at both RSS and FPF....I'm sure you're right.......:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32