Assistant Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Not in my experience, especially for practice plans. Line ups, opinions are sometimes asked for. Kind of a "I'm thinking this. What do you think?" Input may or may not effect the existing line up.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What is the role of an assistant coach?

Depending on the how experienced the AC is, below are some of the roles:

- help run drill stations;
- set-up and breakdown above;
- 1st base coach;
- warm-up players before game
- sounding board for ideas, opinions, rules and is a sanity check for manager
- hopefully bring some expertise or new ideas to the team
- help in dugout both on offense and defense
- overall, support and implement the manager's decision(s), regardless if she/she agrees with them or not;
- loyalty, has lots of energy, and motivates the players and other coaches;
- if fun to be around since you will be spending lots of time together.

Keep in mind, its not a democracy and ultimately the manager has to make the key decisions and set the direction of the team. However, you need to make sure to give your AC some responsibilities so they feel part of the team and take ownership of their role.

It's a fine balancing act and difficult to get right. But once you do and all the coaches are on the same page, the team runs a lot more smoothly.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I do run lineups past my assistant(s). Always like to know what they might see. Practices are typically set up in andvance. I will ask if there is someting we should work on so it can be scheduled in. I dont always agree, dont always make changes (or they dont agree with me) , but I value their answers.

Feb 3, 2011
My AC is a former collegiate pitcher and has been coaching 3-4 years. This is her 1st time coaching 10u. I have total faith in her to handle our players' skill development. We discuss practice plans and her input is certainly welcome and has been used. When it comes to setting game strategy to make use of the skills she's teaching, though, that's up to me. The position rosters and lineups are also on me. She's more than welcome to do it for some of our regular-season games, but has so far expressed no interest in the job of balancing playing time for a 13-player roster. lol

So far, we're working very well together and that's been reflected in our team's improvement after just a few practices.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Our situation is like SoCalSoftballdad list... except i don't care to be on 1st base...so I let another person that helps at practice when he can...do first base.

Our HC sets practice plans in advance and then we talk about it right before practice if something is different. Sometimes we discuss up coming practices as i do the pitchers and have to have idea if we are throwing early or during practice. He does usually discuss some lineup changes before tournaments if there is anything different.

I have to say we are in sync with each other and agree on most everything. We can talk hours on the phone...and can talk hours after a tournament and make our wives sick of hearing us talk ball! :)

One thing he is really open to is the info i come up with (usually from this board) and practicing some things for us to improve. He and I will go over it...see who/what it would benefit and come up with way to implement it in practice if its useful.

As far as my personal self...i do have to step back at times...and try not to take over. If i feel like I have done that...i find a way to give him the floor again...and put it back in his hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl