Assistant Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
SB - Most every other coach posting on DFP seems to enjoy what they are doing. The fact is that it isn't always sunshine and lollipops and that there almost always will be some difficult parents, idiotic coaching colleagues, silly org requirements, prima donna players etc. Unfortunately, if you can't accept this and learn to cope with it, you might be happier not coaching. Also, recognize that if you're not happy doing something, it is apparent to those around you.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I understand that the Manager is in charge, it would be a disaster if they were not. Would like to have more input in what we do but have learned that it is not going to happen. From the answers this seems to be a 50/50 proposition.

I find it hard not being involved, we are always 1st to all the games and practices. This past year I started to bring our personal equipment so the girls could start warming up before the coaches arrived with the team equipment. It has become a little bit of a joke with some of the parents that are running around trying to get all their players where they need to be. Different topic but I do not know how they do it, 1 family has 3 girls on 3 different teams.

It’s gotten old being 100% support but having no input. I am going to pull my lawn chair back out and sit at the end of the fence so I can cheer, swear and yell at the umpire again.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I've been both a assistant and head coach in rec ball / rec ball all stars. As an an AC I don't expect to see the practice plan or game plan ahead of time. If I have suggestions I'll email or discuss them with the HC ahead of time but won't get upset if they're not used.

As a HC it takes a lot of time for me to make a lineup and game plan because I'm trying to be as fair as possible to everyone (remember this is rec ball). If you haven't done it before it's hard to understand how much of a hassle making a "fair" game plan with 12 or 13 players can be. I welcome suggestions from the AC ahead of time but once the plan is done I don't want to have to put it out there for review and then react to comments. Of course if someone doesn't show up I have no choice but to make adjustments on the fly.

Sometimes it's tough for me to be an AC now that I have some HC experience. I don't think I have a huge ego but if the HC is doing something different than my way sometimes it's tough to keep my mouth shut - but I do. Sometimes DD will say something like "Dad I thought you said we should do X" and I say that's right but when you play for this team do it the way the HC tells you to do it.

If you don't like the way they HC is doing things you can either switch to another team or become a HC yourself. Make sure to ask yourself what is in the best interest of your DD.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD and I spend a lot of time together on softball, I think it is good for her to be involved with other coaches. Do not want to be DD’s HC, almost became the HC of another team DD was competing against. :)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Quincy - I understand your frustration, that is why I enjoy being the head coach a lot more than being the assistant coach. It's not easy being the assistant coach because you have little control of the most important aspects of the game: drafting players; setting the line-up; setting the postions; pitch calling; giving batters signs; game strategy; setting practice plans and schedules; and have final decisions making on everything.

The downside to being the HC: admin stuff; dealing with difficult parents; keeping your ACs happy and involved; and you are the point person for criticism and are constantly being second guessed by everyone no matter how good a job you are doing. If parents have never been the head coach, its difficult to understand all of the things that we deal with on a weekly basis.

What keeps me coming back each season is my three primarly team goals: 1) teach softball fundamentals; 2) field a competitive team each week (not necessarily a winning team); and 3) make sure everyone is having fun and enjoying the game. If I can at least accomplish these three things, we will likely have a successful team and season.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Dang it, DD’s Manager asked me to be an AC.

Poor guy is running practices all by himself while all us parents sit in the bleachers and stare at him. He needs help but no one seems to be stepping up.

I do not know if I want to become emotionally attached to the players without having any input.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Quincy,

Sit the HC down and talk to him about what his and your expectations are. I would think that you could find a way to make it work. After all, it is for the girls. ;)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Dang it, DD’s Manager asked me to be an AC.

Poor guy is running practices all by himself while all us parents sit in the bleachers and stare at him. He needs help but no one seems to be stepping up.

I do not know if I want to become emotionally attached to the players without having any input.

Help the guy. I've been that HC in rec leagues with no parents stepping up. Makes it hard to work on improving the girls when you are just one guy. Very tough for the girls and your wife get's to hear all the parent's complain at games about how the girls just aren't improving enough, why doesn't HC spend more time working with the girls like the other teams that have 4 coaches. GRRRRR

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I will, I have been in his position before and it is no fun.

I will talk to him at practice tonight.

No more swearing for another couple months. :)

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Ask the HC if there is anything, skills wise, that he would like for you to handle. As an AC, I would usually take the outfielders and work with them while the HC worked with the infield. He would rotate girls from infield to outfield to work with different girls in diferent positions, so I got to teach skills that alot of teams just kind of mention occasionally and think that's suficient. I would also position outfielders in the games, while he called pitches and positioned infielders depending on the situation. I took great pride in seeing my outfielders make plays, be in position to back up throws, and get the ball into the infield as quickly as possible using techniques that I was able to teach them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl