ASA speed up runner rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You might not find the term "speed up rule" in the rule book, but speeding up the game was the original intent of the courtesy runner rule, which is why it is limited to the pitcher and catcher.

At the end of a half-inning, the catcher needs a little extra time to put on her gear, plus you want the pitcher ready to start taking her warm-up throws. Both are delayed if F1 or F2 are on base when the third out is made. So the rule doesn't really speed up the game as it's being played, it speeds up the downtime between innings.

Some organizations, or local leagues, have since expanded the use of courtesy runners beyond that original intent. They might use the rule to promote participation (get more players into the game), to allow for an injured runner to be replaced or even for coaches to use this as a strategic tool to get a faster runner on base.

And I'm not really sure that the original rule does all that much to speed up the game anyway. I've seen plenty of typical courtesy runner situations go like this:

Coach wants a courtesy runner, but is unsure of the rule so he has to ask the umpire which player can run, they have to take time to sort that out first, then they have to find a player in the dugout who fits the bill, then once they find her she has to find a helmet, then she has to find a helmet that fits...and then the catcher still isn't geared-up when the half-inning ends and they still lollygag around before starting their warm-up pitches.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You might not find the term "speed up rule" in the rule book, but speeding up the game was the original intent of the courtesy runner rule, which is why it is limited to the pitcher and catcher.

At the end of a half-inning, the catcher needs a little extra time to put on her gear, plus you want the pitcher ready to start taking her warm-up throws. Both are delayed if F1 or F2 are on base when the third out is made. So the rule doesn't really speed up the game as it's being played, it speeds up the downtime between innings.

Some organizations, or local leagues, have since expanded the use of courtesy runners beyond that original intent. They might use the rule to promote participation (get more players into the game), to allow for an injured runner to be replaced or even for coaches to use this as a strategic tool to get a faster runner on base.

And I'm not really sure that the original rule does all that much to speed up the game anyway. I've seen plenty of typical courtesy runner situations go like this:

Coach wants a courtesy runner, but is unsure of the rule so he has to ask the umpire which player can run, they have to take time to sort that out first, then they have to find a player in the dugout who fits the bill, then once they find her she has to find a helmet, then she has to find a helmet that fits...and then the catcher still isn't geared-up when the half-inning ends and they still lollygag around before starting their warm-up pitches.

First saw this in HS baseball in the late '60s, but their back-up argument was a health benefit for the two players of the positions where the most stress is being put on the legs, knees and ankles in general. I'll buy the speed-up argument first, but at that time in history, it was new and just about anything they said would have been accepted as valid.

Back then though, the coaches were teachers, usually gym teachers and this was the only game in town at the time during the school year. So, they were pretty much on top of those type of rules and there was little delay. It was so standard, the courtesy runner was often on his way to 1B before the ball was even back to the pitcher. Very little down time.

Apr 13, 2013
If it matters DD plays in a Rec. League with a continuous batting order. Another local rule is that both the P and C may receive a courtesy runner and that the last batted out is that runner.

In my opinion is slows down the game. I also think that they earned their spot on the base so let them play.

Edit:

DD pitches and is fast and smart so there is no way she is getting a courtesy runner, some other slow players might. I dislike this local rule even though it does affect my DD. It has good intentions but IMHO has become a strategy and gets away from what the rule was attended for.

Last edited: