ASA 18 Gold Results?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
According to a post on another softball site (HeyBucket.com):

# of Top 10 finishes at 2010 USA/ASA A Nationals, by State:

California- 27
Georgia- 12
Texas- 8
Tennessee- 5
Florida- 4
Alabama- 4
Illinois- 4
Oklahoma- 2
Ohio- 2
Kentucky- 1
Missouri- 1
Oregon- 1
Pennsylvania- 1

Good info. I was just thinking today about the top 5 finishes, so the top 10 is even better. Wonder what the ratio of teams entered by state, to top 10 finishes.

I guess I better admit CA has the most :) , but also glad to see the dirty south holds 2nd-6th.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Yep. California is the awesomness. The rest of the country just sucks.

It's sad when the adults involved in youth sports start sounding like teenage boys on video game message board.

SoCal p0wns ur face n00bs.
You Nubs don't deserve to come to our game.

Really? :eyeroll:

Bishop - just putting some accuracy, context, and facts to balance the original posters statement that the tide is changing in fastpitch and other parts of the country are dominating the sport. Was curious if this was if fact true, that's all.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yep. California is the awesomness. The rest of the country just sucks.

It's sad when the adults involved in youth sports start sounding like teenage boys on video game message board.

SoCal p0wns ur face n00bs.
You Nubs don't deserve to come to our game.

Really? :eyeroll:

I guess we are being a little childish and should stop...........NOT!! It's just too much fun and boys will be boys at any age.

What irritates me the most is all you hear is ASA is king, the holy grail of softball. For the most part it is an earned birth into the tournament. All other sanctions are 'pay to play'. Ok, I can go along with that. But then when the final chapter of the ASA book doesn't give you the competitive edge you bail out and make up your own tourney with your own rules. So your kinda using the organization until you DON"T need them. Childish??

They should sit down with ASA and open a new class, say a College Gold class. Using a formula on a % of your team who are college players to determine which class you belong. All ASA is doing is trying to even the playing field and not give unfair advantages to certain teams. A new classification should help the situation.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
They should sit down with ASA and open a new class, say a College Gold class. Using a formula on a % of your team who are college players to determine which class you belong. All ASA is doing is trying to even the playing field and not give unfair advantages to certain teams. A new classification should help the situation.
Or wouldn't it be easier to just play 23U? Have a jump to that? If you are a girl on a College Gold team who is not in college, what good is it doing for your exposure to be on that team? Would this really pay off?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This has been a hot topic among some of the coaches in our area. Good points all around with different opinions.

Some of our conclusions. Is it fair to allow college players in a non college event, no. But is it fair to punish the teams because some have made it to the college level, no. Will the Premier or ASA Gold please everyone, no.

One thing we all agreed on. If this starts being the norm the only way to make it fair is to move the Premier each year. If not it gives CA too much advantage, both physically and financially. Long plane rides and driving times wear some players out. The cost for teams to travel would also limit some from participating. Without relocating the event it is nothing more than an Open State Tournament, meaning we gonna put this tournament on in CA mostly for CA teams but the rest of you can come if you want.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
One thing we all agreed on. If this starts being the norm the only way to make it fair is to move the Premier each year. If not it gives CA too much advantage, both physically and financially. Long plane rides and driving times wear some players out. The cost for teams to travel would also limit some from participating. Without relocating the event it is nothing more than an Open State Tournament, meaning we gonna put this tournament on in CA mostly for CA teams but the rest of you can come if you want.
Agree, they definitely need to switch around tourney locations. Hold it in the South one summer, up North the next, back in the West again, etc.

I'm glad I'm not the one that has to decide rules such as college players at the 18U Gold level. I'm uncertain as to what I feel as right, however, something needs to be decided for the 18U level girls who play college ball and want to continue to play 18U at an elite level.

Dec 28, 2008
My thoughts on this are:
1. The south has come a long away ... no doubt. (I live in GA and am proud of the teams and the amount of work and travel that have gone in to getting to where they are.)
2. If everyone still looks and points and says "WOW we beat a team from CA" then CA is still at the top of the heap and will remain there until nobody is surprised by how well a team from another state did. You aren't the best unless others believe you are the best, and CA still has the swagger and others still let them swagger.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Bishop - just putting some accuracy, context, and facts to balance the original posters statement that the tide is changing in fastpitch and other parts of the country are dominating the sport. Was curious if this was if fact true, that's all.

Context. My bad. I'm going to end up with athlete's tongue if I keep shoving my foot in there like that. Is Lotrimin AF safe for oral application? I'll try to refrain from posting again until I get the knot in my shorts untied.

Apr 1, 2010
So Georgia has a top ten finishing team per every 819,101 people and it's taking California 1,368,951 people to produce a top ten finisher. Maybe those of us in the smaller states should start figuring on a per capita basis. Sadly, with a population of 5,987,580 in 2009, Missouri's one top ten finish doesn't come out too well, LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl