ASA 18 Gold Results?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
But I thought all the CA teams had to do was sign in and the trophy was there's. Some have said they fly all over the country to ensure a birth. There are some freaking studs in the south, I may not know all about softball but I know enough to see a mule team when I see it. Baseball here has plained off, but softball is exploding. It pulls more fans in HS than all sports but football games. Travel ball looks like a free carnival from the all the spectators.

I'd like to learn more about the Premier Tourney, never heard of it.

Before you completely write-off CA teams, you should probably go to the Premier Tournament website to see all of the teams that are attending from CA and then check to see if these teams (OC Batbusters, Worth Firecrackers, etc.) played in the ASA Gold tournament? If they did not, than I don't think you can assume the South and Southeast are dominating fastpitch unless they have played AND beaten the best teams in the nation.

3sDad

Wow...this makes sense...we cant bring our girls who ALREADY play for a college team to whoop up on the ones who are there to be seen by college coaches (and spent a pile of money for the chance)....so we're not gonna play...we'll make our league with our own rules so we can still be omnipotent against the masses...WTH????

ASA isnt big here, but I do applaud this rule...I ...wished they could get their act together in the Southeast...but next year we're going to Nationals...
Southeastern US is behind in fastpitch...but given what I know about GRITS...they'll catch up
The Souths coming...and coming as fast as we can;)

Best as I can tell from the scuttle butt on various discussion boards some of the gold teams really disliked the ASA rule disallowing current college players who were 18 and under from competeing. Bunch of the top flight California teams got a pow wow together and decided to do thier own thing and created the Premier National Championship that had a rules set more to thier preference.

I never looked into it. Does my DD need to go to it? Nope.

Jul 26, 2010
Wow...this makes sense...we cant bring our girls who ALREADY play for a college team to whoop up on the ones who are there to be seen by college coaches (and spent a pile of money for the chance)....so we're not gonna play...we'll make our league with our own rules so we can still be omnipotent against the masses...WTH????

ASA isnt big here, but I do applaud this rule...I ...wished they could get their act together in the Southeast...but next year we're going to Nationals...
Southeastern US is behind in fastpitch...but given what I know about GRITS...they'll catch up
The Souths coming...and coming as fast as we can;)

It's not about girls who "already play", it's about the ones who have committed to play for a college come the new fall school year. As you can imagine, as teams progress through the year from training in Jan - Feb and then on through spring they will (hopefully) have girls who verbal to a given school. This makes those players ineligible for ASA Gold play (But they can still play 18u), and also serves to dismantle otherwise potent teams. Imagine loosing your ace pitcher or clean up hitter just because she was good enough to get into college ball?

I can understand why this rule exists, however. Many college coaches get very frustrated when they go to "showcase" tournaments only to find out that the girls that caught their eye is already committed. IMHO, showcases should prohibit these girls from playing, but the ASA shouldn't prevent these girls from contributing to their team (and serving as role models/mentors).

In the end though, it doesn't really matter how well little Susie's team did in the ASA nationals, no one cares except the coach and the parent. What matters is if she was able to play for a college or not. It's that weird dichotomy that makes this issue so frustrating.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the end though, it doesn't really matter how well little Susie's team did in the ASA nationals, no one cares except the coach and the parent.

That is true in almost all non-professional sports...I would also add "players".

Being the best in the USA is quite an accomplishment. At some point, the focus should be on a team proving they are the best, rather than on getting Suzy a scholarship.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Still trying to figure this out. Didn't know about this until yesterday, so I've tried to pull my head out from under my rock. So you DON'T earn your way into the Premier?? More like an Invitational?? I thought that was what made ASA National so much different than just any other paid World Series.

Does anyone have the ESPN televised schedule yet??

Edited
Ok, my DD showed me the qualifiers for the Premier. I'm taking my foot out of my mouth now. I hate it when kids are smarter than me.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Girls who have committed verbally and also signed a LOI to attend a school can play. You cannot play if you have started college though. If thats not the case there are a bunch of teams from this past weekend that played with illegal players.

Jul 9, 2010
Rambler is correct with regards to college players. Only players who have already played in college are ineligible.

3sDad

Amen!

Very Very True!

That is true in almost all non-professional sports...I would also add "players".

Being the best in the USA is quite an accomplishment. At some point, the focus should be on a team proving they are the best, rather than on getting Suzy a scholarship.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
According to a post on another softball site (HeyBucket.com):

# of Top 10 finishes at 2010 USA/ASA A Nationals, by State:

California- 27
Georgia- 12
Texas- 8
Tennessee- 5
Florida- 4
Alabama- 4
Illinois- 4
Oklahoma- 2
Ohio- 2
Kentucky- 1
Missouri- 1
Oregon- 1
Pennsylvania- 1

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Yep. California is the awesomness. The rest of the country just sucks.

It's sad when the adults involved in youth sports start sounding like teenage boys on video game message board.

SoCal p0wns ur face n00bs.
You Nubs don't deserve to come to our game.

Really? :eyeroll:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl